A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide and that includes our interns.
From day one, interns at NPR are given real-world, hands-on responsibilities. Working alongside top professionals in the field, interns do meaningful work across a variety of departments at NPR.
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR’s Winter/Spring 2021 Internship Program will be fully remote.
Program Duration: January 11 – April 16, 2021
TED Radio Hour investigates the biggest questions of our time with the help of the world’s greatest thinkers. In each episode, host Manoush Zomorodi explores a big idea through a series of TED Talks and original interviews, inspiring us to learn more about the world, our communities, and most importantly, ourselves. How I Built This is a weekly podcast about innovators, entrepreneurs and idealists, and their personal stories about how they got to where they got. The show, hosted by Guy Raz, is a narrative journey marked by triumphs, failures, serendipity and insight. Both programs have millions of downloads each week, and consistently are among NPR’s highest-rated shows.
- Conducts research and assists in arranging interviews
- Pre-interviews guests and prepares research material for host
- Works with host, producers, and others in arranging for related elements to complete or supplement a piece
- Helps get the program on the air, which includes performing routine administrative tasks
- Works on some show production elements, including show promos and funding credits
- Pitches ideas for interviews and episodes
- Assists with weekly social media posts and outreach
- Assists with create and maintain webpage content
WHO CAN APPLY?
- LOCATION: Must be planning to work from the United States and authorized to work in the United States throughout the Winter/Spring 2021 internship dates.
- EDUCATION: Must be a current student in an accredited degree program or a recent graduate of no more than 12 months from the month of the start of the internship.
- Interest in skilled radio production and storytelling
- Excellent research skills
- Ability to manage both long and short-term projects
- Strong Digital Media skills, including proficiency in social media as both a newsgathering technique and as a way to distribute content
- Interest in and familiarity with TED Talks
- Interest in entrepreneurship and startup culture is a plus
Applications close on Monday, November 2, 2020 at 5pm ET.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Don’t forget to follow our Interns on Instagram for some behind the scenes action! Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.