POSITION: LIFE Data Scientist (2021 Permanent – New York)
LOCATION: New York, NY
ANTICIPATED START DATE: 2021 (upon graduation)
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 2
Munich Re’s track record as one of the world’s leading reinsurance companies is based on a solid capital foundation, in-depth risk expertise and market know-how. Our data, our technology, and our teams place us in a unique position to lead the change to redefine the nature and impact of reinsurance for the future. We’re investing strategically in our world class talent, offering our employees a diverse and challenging work environment which promotes professional development, innovation, and passion – and rewards high performance.
Our Integrated Analytics team is expanding in our mid-town New York offices. We’re looking for new/recent Master’s and PhDs who have a passion for data analytics coupled with a strong desire to be an active contributor in our growing and highly strategic team.
In keeping with our global position as an industry leader and innovator, Munich Re is driving transformative change in the life insurance industry through data science. The role of data scientist will apply statistical techniques and machine learning to build solutions to core challenges in the life insurance industry. You will be immersed in real-time business problems while engaged in a collaborative approach to delivering world-class, innovative solutions for our North American operations. We see the use of data as instrumental in making it easier for people to buy life insurance and to expand the number of people insured.
Responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to the following:
· Apply statistical and machine learning techniques to assist with building models for underwriting, pricing, and claims management;
· Help us drive innovation, enabling new underwriting paradigms, distribution models, and data management;
· Build and implement solutions that enable operational units to improve quality and speed of core processes in order to generate incremental revenue or reduce expense;
· Proactively research new ways of modeling data to unlock actionable insights or improve processes;
· Collaborate across Munich Re functions and with clients to use analytics to influence business decisions;
· Network with existing data science groups at Munich Re – collaborate with internal partners at our Munich Chief Data Office to leverage capabilities in big data technology.
First and foremost, you’ll demonstrate a natural desire to provide exceptional client service through your energy, enthusiasm, and initiative.
Specifically, we’re looking for the following qualifications:
· Graduate degree (Master’s, PhD) in Computer Science, Statistics, Data Science/Analytics, Applied Mathematics, Engineering (Physics, Bioinformatics) – or equivalent program offering coursework manipulating large datasets;
· Expertise in advanced predictive analytic techniques;
· Fluency with SQL, Python, or R;
· Demonstrated experience working with analytics through the modeling lifecycle including gathering data, design, recommendations, testing, implementation, communication, and revisions;
· Excellent communication skills; spoken & written, formal/informal presentation – to effectively interpret and present actionable insights to partners;
· Resourceful and able to learn quickly;
· A drive to make a difference;
· Proven ability to thrive in a dynamic environment;
· Insurance or financial services background is preferred but not required.
Note that this opportunity is open to both graduating students, as well as recent graduates who have obtained their degree within the past year.
Please note that only candidates who are selected for interview will be contacted directly.
We thank all candidates for their interest.