POSITION: LIFE Data Engineer (2021 Permanent – New York)
LOCATION: New York, NY
ANTICIPATED START DATE: 2021 (upon graduation)
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
Munich Re’s track record as one of the world’s leading reinsurance companies is based on a solid capital foundation, in-depth risk expertise and market know-how. Our data, our technology, and our teams place us in a unique position to lead the change to redefine the nature and impact of reinsurance for the future. We’re investing strategically in our world class talent, offering our employees a diverse and challenging work environment which promotes professional development, innovation, and passion – and rewards high performance.
Our Integrated Analytics (IA) team is expanding in our mid-town New York office. We’re looking for new/recent graduates who have a passion for data, technical aptitude, and an eagerness to work alongside our experienced professionals in this dynamic field.
Munich Re sees the use of data as instrumental in making it easier for people to buy life insurance and to expand the number of people insured. IA leads this effort in the US and Canada for the North American Life business. The role of the Data Engineer is to develop and deploy data intensive applications in support of underwriting, audit, fraud detection and portfolio monitoring.
Responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to the following:
· Assist with the development of Python based applications and predictive models deployed as RESTful microservices;
· Help establish CI/CD workflows and cloud deployment using Docker and various Azure resources;
· Participate in various projects in the fields of statistics, machine learning, and deep learning – collaborating with our greater team of scientists and engineers;
· Support in adapting and customizing machine learning and natural language processing to execute core data ingestion and transformation tasks (translations, validations, exception detection);
· Help employ image recognition and natural language processing to capture data from unstructured data including image, text, and handwriting;
· Build data pipelines based on modern IT architectures (batch & streaming) – configure extract/transform/load software and rules engines.
We’re looking for well-rounded individuals who are technically astute, have strong communication skills, and demonstrate the ability to build positive relationships with internal clients. We’re seeking energetic and collaborative professionals who are excited to join our winning team and show promise of becoming a future leader in the reinsurance space.
Specifically, we’re looking for the following qualifications:
· Undergraduate or graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Information Technology, Engineering (Computer, Software, Physics, Bioinformatics) – or equivalent program offering coursework manipulating large datasets;
· Relevant work experience, having completed at least one relevant internship or co-op work term;
· Familiarity with a variety of programming languages and technologies (such as, but not limited to: Python, Flask, SQL, API or web service development, Hadoop and Distributed Computing);
· Demonstrated experience developing software or analyzing large datasets;
· Excellent communication skills – spoken & written;
· Demonstrated ability to create and manage positive professional relationships with good client service acumen;
· Knowledge of the insurance or financial services industry is considered an asset.
Note that this opportunity is open to both graduating students, as well as recent graduates who have obtained their degree within the past year.
Please note that only candidates who are selected for interview will be contacted directly.
We thank all candidates for their interest.