Meridian International Center is a nonprofit, nonpartisan diplomacy center that connects leaders through culture and collaboration to drive solutions for global challenges. Founded 60 years ago, Meridian works with governments, the private sector and the diplomatic community to develop exchange, training, culture and convening programs to help leaders better address global challenges and opportunities
Meridian’s Communications Team is responsible for increasing the organization’s brand and visibility as Washington, DC’s premier diplomacy institution that strengthens engagement between the United States and the world by connecting leaders through culture and collaboration to drive solutions for global challenges. The Communications Team harnesses virtual, digital and traditional media tools to develop integrated marketing strategies that spotlight Meridian’s international delegations, global leadership programs, mission-driven events and cultural initiatives.
The Global Communications Fellow will help support Meridian’s marketing initiatives by producing creative multimedia content optimized for engagement across social, digital and print platforms. The fellow can expect to gain experience in content marketing and branding, social media campaigns, data analytics, graphic design, video and photo production, database management, event production, non-profit management, fundraising as well as business development.
- Generate original content for the website, blog, monthly newsletter, email marketing and social media, among other editorial or marketing materials
- Create compelling visuals and graphics for social media, tailored to each platform to best engage Meridian’s segmented audiences
- Storyboard and edit short, compelling videos for distribution on social media and inclusion in newsletters and website
- Curate news articles and stories relevant to Meridian’s mission to post on social media platforms and invite conversation and interaction with our online community
- Assist with the daily management of social media accounts, including editorial production, conversation monitoring and social listening, community engagement, and social analytics measurement and evaluation
- Research keywords and content marketing trends for consideration of enhancing Meridian’s marketing and advertising approaches
- Support live coverage of events*, including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, photography, videography
- Enhance Meridian’s LinkedIn strategy by scanning content feeds for relevant posts to share, soliciting engagements and guest contributions from influencers in the Meridian network, among other tactics
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
*No public events are anticipated to take place on Meridian’s campus until April; federal and local health guidance will continue to inform Meridian’s operating status.
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree (or working towards degree) in journalism, communications, marketing or related field; expertise in creative writing, graphic design, video/audio production, technical writing or information management is a plus
- 2+ years of communications experience with an emphasis on digital content production for a non-profit, media organization, or small-to-medium sized company
- Superior writing, editing and proofreading skills, with knowledge of AP style
- Experience with social media content production, website writing and editing, email marketing, publication/graphic design, video production (filming and editing), website admin/maintenance; digital/social media campaigns and content monetization is a plus
- Excellent story teller with the ability to curate, create, write, edit and publish compelling multimedia content
- Detail-oriented with strong planning and project management skills, with ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously and deliver fast turnaround on deadline
- Ability to identify stories and elements with viral potential, and analyze data to accelerate digital audience engagement
- Working knowledge of WordPress, Google Analytics, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud (specifically Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, InDesign and Illustrator), video production and editing, photography, familiarity with Canon products, copywriting and editing, social media content presentation and delivery, Salesforce and Pardot, basic HTML
- Self-starter and team-oriented having the ability to work independently with overall strategic direction
Physical Effort and Dexterity
Handle 25-30 pounds (lbs.) in weight if operating video and photo equipment
Visual Acuity, Hearing, and Speaking
Excellent verbal and written command of the English language
Environment and Scheduling
- Meridian Fellows are limited to a maximum 29 hours per week
- Interest in working with an international not-for-profit
- Interest in working within a diverse work environment
This position is classified FLSA non-exempt.