Are you ready to get exposure to the startup ecosystem and make an impact through events? You’ve come to the right place!
MassChallenge is looking for an Events Associate to join our U.S. Events Team. If you have a passion for creativity, inspiring others, innovation, and entrepreneurship, we want to meet you!
As the Events Associate you will join the Events Team in the planning and execution of a wide variety of programs, activities, and experiences at MassChallenge. You will play an integral role across the entire event planning process from start to finish. Events are fundamental to the MassChallenge brand, as they seek to provide a meaningful experience for all finalists, partners, and community members. From creative planning to event management, this role will provide you with incredible access to hands-on experience and mentorship.
Our Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility (I.D.E.A.): We are looking for individuals from underrepresented races, sexual orientations, genders, identities, abilities, and experiences to join our team, enhance our culture, and increase our diversity of thought. We recognize that skills are gained in many ways, whether it be through professional, academic, or lived experience. We also know that it’s not always easy to apply for a job if you’re not sure you check every box in the job description. There is no such thing as a ‘perfect’ candidate, so no matter your background and how you identify, we encourage you to apply for this job if it would make you excited to come into work every day.
A note on location: this position will be based out of our Boston, MA office which is currently closed because of the global COVID-19 pandemic. These positions will start virtual/remote which means you can be located anywhere in the U.S. to start while working east coast hours. We anticipate opening the office no earlier than September 7, 2021, with the required safety measures in place. Once our office opens, you would be expected to come in, and at this time we are not able to provide relocation assistance.
What You’ll Do
Please note these responsibilities are based on the current virtual environment and will adapt to in-person responsibilities when needed. It should be noted that the majority of the events will be based in the U.S. but there may be times where our global teams need virtual support.
Gain Virtual Event Expertise
- Become a virtual event expert and producer; opportunities to lead virtual event production.
- Educate and train MassChallenge colleagues on virtual event production.
Event Production & Support
- Track internal event requests, project timelines, milestones, deliverables, and resources for in-person, virtual, and hybrid events.
- Own key pieces of virtual event pre-production and execution including, but not limited to, project management and tracking, content management, leading technical rehearsals, coordinating staff volunteers, drafting event schedules, building registration pages, managing material distribution, tracking ticket sales, assisting in event promotion, and overall logistical support.
- Coordinate and manage event day-of preparations.
- Troubleshoot and problem solve during events.
- Gather and input event data and work with Events Team to provide in-depth evaluations and recommendations post-event.
Event Departmental Operations
- Draft and maintain internal communications, including monthly updates, venue and vendor directory, and event inventory system.
- Support in the planning of internal staff engagement events.
- Manage internal and external relationships. Work cross-functionally with marketing and program teams on execution, sales team on event lead generation, build strong preferred vendor relationships.
- Evaluate new event opportunities, technologies, and vendors.
Assist in all other duties as assigned.
Who You Are
- You have 1 – 3 years relevant event experience (internship or full-time).
- You have strong interpersonal, communication, project management, and organizational skills.
- You are resourceful, a creative problem solver, an analytical thinker, and a strong leader.
- You have an interest in learning event technologies and technical roles on events.
- You have a customer service mindset and are known to go above and beyond to help your customers.
- You can multi-task and juggle multiple projects at one time, meet tight deadlines, and manage changes.
- You can work productively both independently and as part of a team.
- You are comfortable interacting with senior management and partners.
- You have the flexibility to adjust your schedule based on events.
Who We Are
MassChallenge is the most startup-friendly accelerator on the planet. No equity and not-for-profit, we are obsessed with helping entrepreneurs from all backgrounds, industries, and regions around the world. We also reward the highest-impact startups through a competition to win a portion of several million dollars in equity-free cash awards. Through our global network of accelerators in Boston, Israel, Mexico, Rhode Island, Switzerland, and Texas, and unrivaled access to our corporate partners, we can have a massive impact – driving growth and creating value the world over.
Whether you’ve never heard of an accelerator, you’ve had your own startup, or you are new to the world of entrepreneurship, we use certain words at MassChallenge to describe our work that might be new to you. Here are a few words you have seen throughout this job description and what they mean to us:
- Program: A startup accelerator program at MassChallenge that is location or industry based that conducts its own applications, cohorts, and curriculum, such as MassChallenge Boston, MassChallenge Texas, or MassChallenge FinTech.
- Partner: An organization that has teamed up with MassChallenge to collaborate on achieving their own innovation-related goals and learn best practices for working with and integrating startups into their organization.
How We Work
We envision a creative and inspired society in which everyone recognizes that they can define their future and is empowered to maximize their impact. Our mission is BIG and so we are a team that gives 110% to it every day. Our Guiding Principles ensure we stay true to our mission and our core beliefs:
- Impact Now: Think big, act big, know that you can change the world.
- Be Genuine: Give trust and earn respect.
- Help Entrepreneurs Win: Startups first in every facet of our business.
- Team Up: Work together, empower your teammates, laugh often.
- Own It: Celebrate wins; embrace failures; this is how we learn together. Be at cause.
Why You Should Join Us
We believe working at MassChallenge is fulfilling because of the mission, challenging because of the pace and work, and rewarding because you get to build to the next step in your career here. When you join MassChallenge you join an incredible team and network of innovators and entrepreneurs, you take ownership over significant and strategically important projects, you focus on impact and output, and you help catalyze a global renaissance.
How to Apply
In addition to completing the online application and providing your resume, please include a one-page cover letter in which you tell us about yourself, why you want to work at MassChallenge and why you are a perfect match for this job.
Our goal is for our team and culture to reflect the diversity of the global community we serve. Employment at MassChallenge is contingent upon verification of identity and eligibility to work in the country that the position is based in, based on applicable laws.