LIFE SCIENCES CONSULTANT ROLE
Life Sciences is L.E.K.’s largest practice and supports leading companies across several subsegments of the industry including biopharma, medtech, and diagnostics. L.E.K. also has strong relationships with many of the investors and advisors that support the broader healthcare industry.
While L.E.K.’s Life Sciences practice has recognized excellence across a wide range of service offerings, the common denominator is helping clients to address their most pressing strategic and operational issues with a focus on delivering value-creating growth. As part of this focus, L.E.K. has worked with some of the industry’s most innovative companies including 9 of the top 10 global biopharma companies, all of the top 10 medtech companies. We have also been recognized as the M&A advisor of the year and the Healthcare Sector Advisor of the Year, in addition to several other awards.
If you are a bright, motivated leader interested in tackling some of the toughest and most interesting business problems, consider joining L.E.K. as a Consultant.
The Consultant role is at the core of our case team structure. Coming from diverse backgrounds and using their creative problem-solving and managerial skills, Consultants at L.E.K. guide our case teams to provide clients insights with impact. You will make a difference by driving our teams to deliver actionable advice and strategies to help our clients win.
Consultants at L.E.K. manage a team of Associates and/or Associate Consultants right from the start, and are on point to ensure the team is addressing client problems and delivering an answer. While every case is different, Consultants’ primary responsibilities typically include:
- Breaking down and outlining the client’s key strategic issues
- Designing and supervising the team’s core research tasks and analyses day-to-day
- Developing presentation and other deliverable structures
- Participating in the communication of project conclusions to client senior management
- Providing guidance, mentorship, and feedback to more junior staff
L.E.K. recruits the best and the brightest and offers very competitive compensation and benefits. In addition to immediate management responsibility and high-impact work, we promote Consultants to Managers as fast as they develop, based on demonstrated performance and contributions.
The Consultant role at L.E.K. is differentiated from other firms in several key ways:
- Immediate management responsibility: Consultants have the opportunity to manage the case process and Associate team from day 1 (L.E.K. hires two undergraduates for every new Consultant).
- Breadth of experiences: While our projects span most industries and services, our focus is strategy and M&A. Consultants typically work on ~6-10 projects a year, providing greater exposure across clients and strategic issues, as well as faster development of business acumen.
- Fun, stimulating work environment: L.E.K. teams spend substantially more time in their home office relative to teams at peer firms, and we pride ourselves on a vibrant social culture, including case team events, office parties, non-profit involvement, and much more.
- International exposure: Approximately one-third of L.E.K. projects involve an international component, which allows Consultants to work on international case teams or, if they choose, to relocate to international offices on either a temporary or a full-time basis.
- Upward mobility: L.E.K. is a meritocracy with an entrepreneurial culture and frequent feedback. Promotion paths do not follow a strict timeline; we promote people as quickly as they develop.
While we do not use a rigid checklist, we look for a combination of attributes that provide an excellent foundation for a successful career at L.E.K., including leadership, drive, intellectual curiosity, analytical ability, teamwork, and uncompromising ethics. Consultants at L.E.K. typically have MBAs and/or a number of years of relevant business experience.
L.E.K Consulting is an Equal Opportunity Employer.