POSITION: INTERPRETER FOR DEAF / HEARING IMPAIRED
REPORTS TO: Classroom Teacher, Deaf Educator, Building Principals and Director of Special Education
FLSA: Classified / Hourly
EMPLOYMENT TERMS AND SALARY: Salary and benefits as determined by the Board of Education.
- Education: Minimum of a High School diploma or equivalent.
- Ability and desire to work with students with disabilities.
- Proficient in sign interpreting skills; certification preferred.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: (Include, but are not limited to)
- Works with individual or small groups of students as directed by the classroom teacher in all curriculum areas using sign language.
- Works with individual or small groups of students as directed by teachers in the following non-teaching activities: supervision of breaks, lunchroom, field trips, community access activities, self-care needs, and independent living skills using sign language.
- Assists the teacher with behavioral intervention procedures as requested.
- Assists the teacher in the development and organization of appropriate learning materials and activities for students needing sign interpretation.
- Prepares needed written communications, (i.e. notes home, messages to other staff, notice of meetings, newsletter, etc.) under the direction and approval of the teachers and Deaf Educator.
- Assists certified staff in the preparation of written reports/forms (i.e., IEP progress report, inventories, requisitions, etc.) as requested by the teachers and Deaf Educator.
- Maintains student information forms or data sheets.
- Performs other duties assigned by the teachers with administrator approval and the request of the Director of Special Education.