Important Recruitment Information for this vacancy:
- Job Posting closes: May 13, 2021
Kansas Department of Transportation
At KDOT, we reward our staff’s hard work by providing training opportunities, a family-oriented work environment and service recognition. Promotional opportunities, free parking and flexible schedules are also offered. KDOT is a great place to work, so come be part of our team!
Verification of identity and employment eligibility to work in the United States is required by federal law. For a list of acceptable documents that establish these criteria, please refer to the federal Form I-9. KDOT does not provide sponsorships.
About the Position:
- Who can apply: Anyone
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
- Full/Part-time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Work Schedule: Monday – Friday
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
- Search Keywords: Topeka, Office of Chief Counsel, Eisenhower State Office Building
- Annual Salary: $56,118.40 – $67,527.20
- Hourly Pay: $26.98 – $32.47
- Educational Assistance Program
- On-the-job training programs
- Paid Vacation Leave & Paid Sick Leave & Paid State Holidays
- Group health, dental, vision.
- Family Oriented Work Environment
- Basic Life Insurance provided by the State/Optional Group Life Insurance at a reasonable cost.
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
- Employee Assistance Program
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
Position Summary & Responsibilities:
This position is located in Topeka, at the Eisenhower State Office Building, and is within the Office of Chief Counsel. This position provides legal counsel to the agency on personnel related matters, including disciplinary matters, proposed terminations, ADA-related issues, and FMLA issues.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
- Represents the agency in internal and external personnel related proceedings, including handling hearings before the Kansas Civil Service Board, Kansas Human Rights Commission, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and Kansas Department of Labor Office of Unemployment Appeals.
- Advises agency management on employment-related actions based on federal and state regulations, case law, statutes, the Kansas Organization of State Employees Memorandum of Agreement, and internal KDOT policies.
- Assists in drafting personnel related internal policies (SOM’s).
Licensing & Certification:
- Certificate of admission the Bar of the Supreme Court of Kansas or temporary permit to practice law issued by the Supreme Court of Kansas at the time of hire is required.
- Two years of experience working in an employment related field or other experience relevant to employment law and regulations.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the agency. Transcripts are required in order for education to be considered.
- Current Certificate of Tax Clearance.
(See Required Documents below for information regarding this certificate & other required documentation)
- Experience working independently, establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with Executive and Senior managers, agency administrators, engineering staff, technical staff, and the public.
Recruiter Contact Information:
- Name: Jessica Mills
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (785) 296-1841
Required documents for this application to be complete:
- On the My Job Applications page, verify these documents are present and valid. Upload or delete and upload new if needed.
- Current Tax Clearance Certificate
- DD214 (if you are claiming Veteran’s Preference)
- Inside your Job Application upload these required documents:
- Cover Letter
- Resume (or choose existing if you have one)
- Law School Transcript
- Writing Sample (not to exceed 15 pages)
Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate Required: Each applicant (even non-residents) applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a valid Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue’s website. A Tax Clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual’s account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. A Tax Clearance expires every 90 days. All applicants, including current state employees, are responsible for submitting a valid certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency. This is in accordance with Executive Order 2004-03. If you need assistance with the tax clearance, please contact 785-296-3199.