Are you seeking an opportunity to strengthen your advocacy skills and grow your career? At Jubilee USA Network, we work together to advocate for policy change that strikes at the roots of global poverty. We are seeking student Associates who are passionate about social justice and love working in a team environment. In addition to a collaborative environment, we also offer a variety of professional development opportunities that will help you advance your career as an advocate of social justice in the nonprofit and government sectors.
Professional Development Opportunities
- Curate a professional portfolio by documenting projects, memos, and other relevant material throughout the term. This allows Associates to demonstrate their experience in the workplace through valuable writing samples that are relevant to their future career goals. Examples of portfolio materials could include research briefs, official memos, major event announcements, press releases, graphic design products, and other projects. We have templates for many of these items that help professionalize Associates’ portfolios.
- Receive one-on-one mentorship from the Director of Policy and Advocacy. Each Associate meets with the Director in their first week to discuss their goals for the internship and their larger professional and academic goals. The Director will work with Associates to assign projects in alignment with those goals throughout the term. At the end of the internship, Associates will 1) reflect on their experience and 2) discuss next steps with the Director to determine how they can most strategically move forward in their career and how Jubilee can be a long-term resource. Throughout the term (and beyond!), the Director is available for resume help, referrals, and career advice.
- Participate in Policy Forums where Associates interface directly with policy experts who have decades of domestic and international experience on issues within Jubilee’s policy portfolio.
- Strengthen transferable hard skills by gaining hands-on experience with various types of software common in the nonprofit sector: Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Content Management Systems (CMS), and project management software. Experience with any of these is not required to join the team – we’ll happily teach you from scratch!
- Develop relationships by working closely with a cohort of 4-6 Associates in a highly collaborative environment. Almost every major project is assigned to a team, which allows Associates to build relationships and balance multiple projects alongside one another.
- Exercise creativity and leadership: If you have an idea on how we can improve an existing process or you have an idea for an entirely new initiative, you can lead a pilot project to implement your idea in consultation with the Director.
- End the term with an official letter of recommendation: The Director will issue an official letter of recommendation to high-performing Associates upon request at the end of the internship.
The Outreach Associate works closely with the Director of Policy and Advocacy and other Associates to implement our campaigns by strengthening our grassroots outreach program. This position includes developing resources for grassroots supporters and assisting with engagement efforts toward Jubilee’s Network Council members, congregations, faith communities, and other partners. This role can be flexible and grow to fit the Associate’s evolving interests, skills, and career goals.
- Designing and implementing e-activism and new media campaigns
- Maintaining project data across the office and advising the Director on emerging trends
- Providing assistance to senior leadership on key events and program engagement efforts
- Creating education and campaign materials that are accessible to a wide audience
- Developing content on various platforms to amplify our efforts
- Drafting communication to external partners
- Providing administrative support in the following areas:
- Data management: Adding or updating contacts in our databases and maintaining key website pages
- Office functions: Assisting with administrative processes to support Jubilee’s outreach programs
- Jubilee USA sponsored events: Helping with event preparation, taking notes during events, and participating in post-event reflection
- Attending coalition meetings with leaders from allied organizations
- Drafting summary memos to senior leadership as needed
- Working with staff on other priority projects as need arises
- Attending virtual events on behalf of Jubilee USA
Ideal candidates have interest or experience in organizing, data skills, and stakeholder relations. We’re looking for strong attention to detail, robust writing skills, the ability to balance competing priorities, a willingness to take on new and creative projects in a professional environment, and enthusiasm for collaborating in a team setting with people of diverse backgrounds. Knowledge of or interest in economic justice issues and/or different faith traditions is a plus but not required. Positive attitude and enthusiasm is a must!
Email your updated resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the name of the position you are seeking in the subject line. (You may also mention that you are open to multiple positions in your email if that is the case.) We are accepting applications on a rolling basis and have the capacity to take on four to six associates in the cohort. While this is an unpaid internship, we enthusiastically work with the student and their college to offer academic credit. The Summer term runs from May 17, 2021 to August 20, 2021. Note: This internship can be completed entirely virtually. Associates who are local to DC during the term will have the option to come into the office on occasion.
Please click the below links to read more about each position:
Jubilee USA Network
Jubilee USA Network is an interfaith, non-profit alliance of religious, development and advocacy organizations. We are 75 U.S. institutions and more than 750 faith groups working across the United States and around the globe to strike at the roots of poverty and inequality. Our policy portfolio encompasses the following structural issues:
- Debt and Lending
- Tax, Transparency, Accountability and Corruption
- Consumer Financial Protections
- Trade Policies
- Preventing Financial Crisis and Austerity
We would love for you to join us in this mission!