Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,600 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT is currently ranked #52 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
JMT’s Longview Highways Team is seeking a Design Engineer to be responsible for engineering design using knowledge of transportation engineering principles and practices to interpret, organize, execute, and coordinate assignments. Duties will include all aspects of highway/roadway design from preliminary schematic through PS&E, including typical sections, alignments, profiles, cross-sections, traffic control plans, signing and pavement markings, SW3P, basic hydraulics and drainage, construction cost estimates, and construction schedules.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Assist with engineering plans production
- Perform alternative studies
- Analyze survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography and other topographical or geologic data to plan projects
- Perform design computations
- Design projects in accordance with client specifications, guidelines, and manuals, using design software and drawing tools
- 3D modeling support
- Develop construction cost estimates and construction schedules
- Coordinate with internal team members to ensure project completion by the defined deadline and established quality
- Assist in the preparation of engineering documents for advertisement and construction
- Assist with marketing activities
Nonessential Functions and Responsibilities
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or a related field from ABET accredited engineering program
- Texas Engineer-in-Training certification (Required within 6 months of hire)
- Proficient in discipline specific design software (Microstation GEOPAK) (OpenRoads 3D modeling experience a plus)
- Related engineering experience
- Other work experience
- Experience working with government agencies
Work is performed within a general office environment 95% of the time. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
Field work is required on occasion where work may be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Some lifting (up to 25 lbs) may be required as needed.
- Analytical Thinking
- Creativity and Innovation
- Job Proficiency
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
- Quality Service
- Building Relationships & Teamwork
- Integrity & Ethics
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce