Position Title: VITA Tax Site Coordinator
Organization: Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Position Type: Full-Time (37.5 hours per week), non-exempt
Pay Rate: $19-21 per hour
Benefits: Full- and half-time positions include a 401(k) plan, medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance and generous holiday benefits.
The VITA Tax Site Coordinator provides free tax preparation services to qualified low- and moderate-income taxpayers. The program is operated by Jewish Family Service for a specific area of the county through participating in the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program and by encouraging self-filing online through MyFreeTaxes.com. The VITA Program is a partnership with the IRS, Franchise Tax Board, and provided through a contract with the County of San Diego – Communities in Action program. The VITA program assists people in becoming financially independent by focusing on achieving and maintaining economic self-sufficiency.
· Manages VITA site operations during the tax season and ensure sites are open as scheduled and adequately staffed to meet the demand of appointments
· Ensures that all volunteers working at the site have completed the required certification and recognize and appreciate volunteers
· Oversees tax appointment screenings and services; serve as an administrator of appointment scheduling website
· Maintains privacy and confidentiality of taxpayer information
· Coordinates on all aspects of site management, IRS and program requirements, and e-file administration
· Assists with outreach to residents, students and workers, increasing awareness about the program
· E-Filing/Transmission and Quality Review:
o Acts as the e-file administrator (ERO)
o Reviews tax returns to be e-filed to ensure quality and completeness
o E-files returns within 48 hours of preparation
o Maintains files for accepted returns and paper returns
o Reviews rejects and informs tax filer within 24 hours. Take necessary action to fix the problem and resubmit the tax return
The ideal candidate will have:
· Associate or Bachelor’s degree in accounting, tax, or related-field
· CPA, CPA Candidate, CTEC or EA preferred
· Prior VITA experience and completing individual returns preferred – familiarity with TaxSlayer Software
· Required to pass (at minimum) the online IRS certifications in Basic, Advanced, and Health Savings Account once hired and prior to teaching
· Strong Customer Service and Problem-Solving Skills
· Must be available to work flexible hours, including evenings and Saturdays
· Should be detail oriented with strong work ethics and should be able to demonstrate strong integrity combined with excellent communication skills.
· Ability to manage and coordinate an all-volunteer staff
· Ability to work independently in a fast-paced setting
· Ability to work under pressure
· Strong analytical skills
· Ability to work with Microsoft Excel
· Bilingual in English and Spanish strongly preferred
To Move Forward:
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume on the following link;
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Please, no phone calls. Please, principals only. Please, local candidates only (relocation is not provided).
About Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. For nearly 100 years, Jewish Family Service has been a trusted resource for the entire community, offering an array of services that are always life-changing, and often life-saving. At Jewish Family Service, we believe our employees are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each employee is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Come work at JFS and be our partner in Moving Forward Together. To learn more about JFS, please visit jfssd.org.
*Jewish Family Service is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.