Want to join an exciting high-paced highly specialized industry? Join the Ahern Fire Protection team designing the sprinkler systems in buildings that protect and save lives. We are a fire protection contractor that designs and installs fire protection systems in new and existing building, working with some of the biggest names in the construction industry on some of the top tier projects in town.
Building a first class reputation in the industry since 1880 did not happen by chance. It has developed over time through our commitment to conducting business ethically and by providing continuous learning, improvement and development opportunities for our number one asset, employees. As one of the largest Mechanical Contractors in the Midwest, J.F. Ahern can provide you with a meaningful career at a family owned company with a rich history of over 140 years. At J.F. Ahern Company, you are more than just a number on a page, but a valuable part of the family. It’s no wonder that over 87% of our interns rate their experience with us as well above average.
As a Fire Protection Design Intern you will gain valuable experience and insight in what it means to design, manage, and support the installation of fire protection systems.
We are hiring a Fire Protection Design (Sprinkler) Interns for Summer 2021 with the potential of working part time hours during the school year.
How you will contribute:
- Drafting and designing of sprinkler system drawings in accordance with applicable codes and installation requirements.
- Performing hydraulic calculations to prove and ensure system performance.
- Assisting in project coordination, scheduling, change requests, and technical assistance.
- Preparing and ordering materials required for project installation.
- Working with field foreman to resolve any installation issues that arise.
- Assisting the estimating and other design personnel with technical interpretation as needed.
- Obtaining all necessary approvals and reviews of project design data.
- Maintaining organized records of active projects.
- Performing Safety Audits during site visits to ensure and encourage company’s commitment to safety.
What you need to qualify:
- Prior experience working in AutoCAD or similar drafting experience.
- Math and analytical skills is preferred.
- Strong project management and time management skills preferred.
- Pursuing an associate or bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Fire Protection Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture, or other relevant degree.
- Knowledge of the construction industry is helpful.
- Ability to work full time during the summer is required.
What’s in it for you?
Ahern offers a structured, hands on and challenging internship experience. Talented, results minded Interns step to the front of the line for full time positions.
Ahern is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages veterans, women, minorities, and disabled individuals to apply.