Iowa State University’s Water Rocks! program seeks a Spoken Word Artist and Educator who has strong spoken word performance skills, music skills, creative writing skills, is a strong communicator and team player, enthusiastic and has a great sense of fun in working with youth and other community members. You will use poetry, spoken word, art and performance to engage and educate all Iowans, particularly youth, to appreciate and care about our natural resources by providing workshops and educational opportunities. Participates in and evaluates program efforts at the local level, helping use the arts to communicate scientific concepts related to our natural resources.
As part of the application process, Please upload or a provide a link of a spoken word or rap performance and send to email@example.com as part of the application process.
Example of Duties:
Leadership and delivery of Water Rocks! Spoken Earth interactive workshops and performances to youth in Grades 5-12, including both Zoom workshops and in-person activities.
- Serve as educator on natural resources issues with other team members in school settings and community events such as county fairs, festivals and farmers markets throughout Iowa.
- Generating Multimedia, Video and Digital communications via e-News, blogs, social media and YouTube.
- Participates in assessment activities, evaluates major program efforts, and completes reports when due.
- Sets goals related to reaching targeted under-served and under-represented audiences.
- Recruits schools and community groups to participate in programming.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Major or minor in fine arts (theater or video), English, music or natural resources (with demonstrated creative abilities).
Record of successful writing, teaching and public performance/presentation of spoken word, poetry or rap, and experience in outreach/education with a variety of age groups.
Demonstrated strong creative writing skills.