GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:Federally funded position from June 14, 2021 to July 22, 2021. Approximately 20 students from area high schools will attend the six-week summer academy. The Counselors will work with certified instructors in academic areas and lead/supervise students during cultural, recreational, and social activities. In addition, the Counselors will be responsible for the students while on campus and during off-campus activities from Monday morning until Friday afternoon during the Upward Bound Summer Academy. Counselors will have evenings and weekends off except for Wednesday evenings and the Big City trip.
Report to: Upward Bound Manager and TRIO Director
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (% of TIME)
- Supervision of students during classes, activities, and trips.
- Provide a pleasant, comfortable atmosphere conducive to maximum student growth.
- Interpret and ensure compliance of rules and regulations of students.
- Work with program staff in enforcement of program policies.
- Transport students to and from scheduled off-campus activities in college vans. Fifteen-passenger chauffeur’s license required.
- Assist students from Monday morning until Friday afternoon during the day program.
- Attend all required staff meetings and trainings.
- Prepare and lead enrichment activities as assigned.
- Keep and prepare reports and records as assigned by the Upward Bound Manager and Advisor
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- High level of maturity, motivation and responsibility.
- Ability to work independently and is organized and dependable.
- Demonstrates excellent communication skill.
- Must be able to work with a team.
- Must be able and willing to obtain a chauffeur’s license.
- Must attend orientation session for all staff – June 10-11, 2021.
- Will not work weekends or July 2 and 5, 2021.
SPECIAL DEMANDS: Light to medium work. Position requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally; up to 20 pounds frequently, and up to 10 pounds constantly to lift or move objects. Must be able to perform routine stooping, bending, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions continually. Occasional kneeling and crawling. Must have valid driver’s license and chauffer’s license, good driving record and provide proof of insurance.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check. Must be legally eligible to work in the United States without Employer Sponsorship.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Prefer college junior, senior or college graduate and/or prior camp counselor experience. Previous experience working with high school youth.
FRINGE BENEFITS: Furnished room and board on the Emmetsburg campus; meals when food service is open.
APPLICATION PROCESS: The following items must be included in your application packet before it will be considered a complete application:
- Employment Application form
- Applicant Confidential Information form (This data is used to comply with government required affirmative action record keeping only and is not used for applicant screening purposes.)
- A letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- A resume
- A copy of transcripts, with originals due upon hiring
Only complete application packets will be considered for the position vacancy. Review of applications will begin immediately.