IOWA EDUCATIONAL SERVICES for the
BLIND AND VISUALLY IMPAIRED
Summer Camp Intern
This paid internship will provide a mix of opportunities for learning about working with the Blind/Visually Impaired population by participating in one of the State’s weeklong summer camp offerings.
Iowa Educational Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired (IESBVI) has a rich history of providing educational services to the children of Iowa who are blind or visually impaired, including those with additional disabilities.
Today, IESBVI serves students who are blind and visually impaired throughout the State of Iowa using an itinerant teaching model.
GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION:
Under the supervision of the Summer Camp Director, this hands-on position will participate in the daily camp activities for blind and visually impaired children. Duties require the ability to work with, promote independence, show concern for, and present a positive example to visually impaired and multi-impaired children, and the ability to exercise responsible judgment in routine and emergency situations.
RESPONSIBILITIES: (Illustrative only)
– Support camp check-in and check-out procedures on opening and closing days of camp sessions. This may include interacting with families and campers as they check-in; helping campers get settled in their rooms.
– Assist with daily experiences that may include: field trips, classroom instruction, activities of daily living and social situations.
– Set a positive example for students.
– Assist staff as needed and offer support and encouragement to program participants equitably.
– Practice good interpersonal skills, be prompt attentive and able to follow directions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
– Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
– Knowledge of basic principles and procedures of first aid.
– Ability to keep accurate, up-to-date records.
– Knowledge of emergency evacuation procedures.
– Knowledge of human behavior and needs of visually impaired children.
– Ability to work collaboratively in a team oriented atmosphere focusing on proficiency in the development of skills
MINIMUM ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
Prefer 2 year’s progress towards a degree in Liberal Arts, Sociology, Psychology, Social Work, Education or Special Education or other human services area or any other experience working with special needs populations.
Ability to read, write, follow instructions and abide by policies and procedures.
If you believe that experiential learning can open the world for blind and visually impaired students, then you will want to take advantage of this opportunity. Join our professional staff to further your educational knowledge, gain valuable experience and have fun.
This is a paid internship: $14.84 an hour
Interns will also gain valuable experience and/or improve upon their:
– Awareness of the techniques used by the blind and visually impaired for orientation and mobility;
– Understanding of the proper etiquette required to work with the Blind and Visually Impaired population;
– How to properly Human Guide for the Blind and Visually Impaired;
– Knowledge of the Expanded Core Curriculum and the relevance to instruction and programming
Summer Camps Dates and Locations for 2021
Interns participate in camp activities, promote independence, and have fun!
**Interns do not need to work all camps to be eligible for the internship**
When applying, you decide what weeks and locations will work for your summer schedule.
For most camps, interns must provide their own lodging and transportation to and from the camp locations.
June 12-13 Waterloo, IA
Girls Night Out
June 13-17 Cedar Falls, IA at University of Northern Iowa Campus
June 20-25 Council Bluffs, IA at Iowa School for the Deaf Campus
Around the World
June 21-25 Burlington, IA
Camp Success (DAY CAMP)
June 21-25 Des Moines, IA
Expanding our World Jr (DAY CAMP)
June 21-24 Dubuque, IA
Northeast Nature Camp (DAY CAMP)
June 28-July 2 Mount Pleasant, IA
Great Prairie Summer Quest (Day Camp)
June 28-July 2 Des Moines, IA
Expanding Our World: Teen (DAY CAMP)
July 11-16 Des Moines, IA
Transition Life Skills
July 12-15 Sioux Center, IA
Northwest Game Time! (DAY CAMP)