Farm Business/Tax Consultants (Field Staff) are farm analysis specialists who work with our farmer-members, known as cooperators, on a yearlong basis. They provide knowledge and educate their assigned cooperators on important topics, such as financial analysis, business planning, managing a farm operation, tax planning and tax preparation. Farm Business Consultants (Field Staff) focus on serving Illinois farmers with their short- and long-term business success. FBFM has over 40 offices located throughout the state.
1. Build and maintain relationships with cooperators.
2. Make regular farm visits to cooperators to acquire the necessary information to get an accurate and complete record of the farm business.
3. Interpret and deliver financial analysis as well as educate the cooperators on good management practices and understanding their risk tolerance.
4. Assist with income tax planning and preparation for those cooperators who want this service.
5. Analyze needs of the cooperators and counsel on special topics, such as farm succession planning, estate planning, diversification, etc.
6. Research and keep up-to-date with any relevant developments in agriculture, tax, and with the markets.
7. Provide cooperators with new or existing FBFM services to assist with the management of their farms.
8. Market and promote FBFM services to potential cooperators who could benefit from our program.
9. Collaborate with other professionals (i.e. other FBFM Farm Business/Tax Consultants (Field Staff); lenders, attorneys; etc.).
10. Participate in continuing education efforts in order to maintain a high level of proficiency in technical subject matter areas relating to the job responsibilities.
11. Schedule tasks accordingly to meet deadlines. (i.e. work longer hours in fall and winter months and having greater flexibility in summer months when making farm visits.)
Required Qualifications, Skills & Attributes of a successful candidate:
1. Bachelor’s degree in Ag Economics, Ag Education, Accounting, Business, Finance or a related-field.
2. Agriculture/Farming background or a working knowledge of farm operations, the ag industry, and accounting/finance principles.
3. Effective utilization of computer technology, software and applications.
4. Strong attention to detail.
5. Outstanding organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload.
6. Excellent interpersonal, communication, problem solving and analytical skills
7. A self-starter who can manage time wisely and work under limited supervision.
8. The desire to work with farm families on business and tax matters.
9. Ability to handle a heavy work load from November through April.
10. Outgoing personality to market services to others.
11. Willingness to live in the cooperator service area.
1. Master’s degree in Agri-business or related field
2. Three to five years of accounting, banking or loan officer experience
The Illinois FBFM organization offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Candidates must have a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record as well as pass a background check. Offers of employment to prospective new hires will be made contingent upon the results of the criminal background check, personal and professional reference checks, and other pre-employment assessments. With 40 offices located throughout the State, check our web site for a position near you.