At Heartland Family Service, we are committed to building a culture that is trauma informed and values and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We believe this allows for better service delivery and innovation, as it encourages our employees to bring various experiences and uniqueness to the workplace.
Trauma Informed Care is an approach to engaging people with histories of trauma that recognizes the presence of trauma symptoms and acknowledges the role that trauma has played in their lives. Trauma Informed Care also acknowledges the effects of working with trauma survivors on our workforce, and seeks to build collaborative and supportive working environments and relationships.
If you believe in our mission of creating healthy families and communities, and like a fast pace, collaborative and team oriented environment, then Heartland Family Service is the agency for you.
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION OF WORK
The Assertive Community Treatment (ACT) program provides community-based care and treatment for individuals who are challenged by chronic mental illness. This team of professionals, who traditionally operated in isolation from one another, can now assist a client in a much more efficient and immediate manner than they could before. They get to know each client’s life, their family, their plans, and goals. An ACT Internship offers opportunities for students interested in community-based health promotion to be part of a multidisciplinary team providing the intensive support in gaining a healthier lifestyle which individuals with severe mental illness need in order to thrive.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:30 am- 5:00 pm (hours per week varies and are flexible)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Students would work in the ACT program providing assessment, medication mgmt., education, and supportive therapy to adults living with severe and persistent mental illness.
- Students would be a part of our multidisciplinary team, attend team meetings and be involved in our client’s recovery process.
- Students will work with the team’s prescriber.
- The master’s level nursing student will meet with clients individually and in group settings to assess, educate and promote management of their mental health.
- * Strive to make connections between the agency and the larger community whenever possible in order to contribute to the agency’s ongoing fundraising and friend-raising efforts.
- * Essential functions of this internship are to be performed on company physical work site
*DENOTES ESSENTIAL INTERNSHIP FUNCTIONS
- Currently in the process of completing their Master’s in a Nursing field with a preference for those working towards being a Psychiatric APRN.
- Desired skills to include nonjudgmental attitudes, ability to empathize, patience and good listening skills along with knowledge and experience regarding psychiatric conditions and treatment.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITY SPECIFICATIONS
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
(Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.