General Job Description:
The Registered Nurse is responsible for meeting patient’s priority needs by assessing, participating in interdisciplinary care planning, providing and /or delegating care based on patient needs, and evaluating patients’ responses. Contributes to an efficient and effective work environment through activities including professional communication and documentation, preceptoring and/or resourcing of others.The Staff RN supervises support staff in the delivery of patient care as described in Nebraska Statute
In addition to the principal job functions contained on the primary job descriptions, the following duties are also required in the department noted above:
To assist with all areas related to Labor & Delivery, newborn nursery, & postpartum. Care of patients while in labor & at delivery, including cesarean delivery. Assist with care of post-partum patients & newborns. Care for unstable infants as needed. Perform newborn assessments. Perform & record newborn hearing screens. We are an amazing team that works hard to support each other and are seeking a phenomenal addition like you who feels patient care is as meaningful as we do.
You will work in collaboration with other members of the healthcare team to provide the necessary medical care to maternity center patients
Detailed Job Description:
1. Formulate clinical decisions and implement multi-dimensional plans of care that demonstrate independent judgment and critical thinking to meet the physical and psychosocial needs of the patient through a collaborative practice with the health care team, ensuring consistency with private standards and/or state and federal regulations. Follows all scope and standards of professional nursing practice guidelines.
• Administer oral and IM medications correctly and have knowledge of drug use.
• Administer IV medications and maintain proper insertion sites according to GIRMC policies and procedures.
• Utilize the nursing process to initiate an admission process; and individualize and implement a nursing care plan, including patient/family education and discharge planning.
• Demonstrate expertise in systems assessments, recognition of significant changes in patient condition, establishment of priorities, and nursing interventions.
• Ensure complete documentation of all aspects of assigned patients.
• Promote the team concept through interpersonal relationships with patients, families, medical staff and/or other health care providers to coordinate medical and nursing management of patient care.
• Demonstrate respect for patients’ rights, privacy and serve as a patient advocate.
• Communicate with families regarding the patient’s condition.
• Assist the medical staff when necessary with procedures.
• Ability to do treatments and maintain sterile procedures.
• Direct admissions, dismissals and transfers of patients.
• Have working knowledge of Obstetrics and Nursery procedures
• Monitor laboring mother and fetus throughout labor and delivery
• Perform initial assessment and cares of newborn immediately after delivery
• Provide maternal and newborn standard cares including recovery from labor and delivery, recovery from cesarean sections, and throughout postpartum period
• Take appropriate measures during obstetrical and/or neonatal emergencies
• Partake in post delivery de-briefings
2. Provides resource for practice questions and problem solves.
3. Develop personal education objectives and participate in professional growth opportunities to assure continued adherence to professional standards and provision of quality patient care.
• Maintain knowledge of labor and delivery unit operations through attendance at unit meetings or signing meeting minutes.
• Maintains appropriate certification as outlined in the Medical Center licensure policy.
• Participate in continuing education to maintain competency and to keep informed of changes affecting nursing and health care or provide evidence of continuing education through outside facility.
• Assist in OB orientation of new employees as requested.
• Participate in clinical instruction programs to support learning experiences for nursing students.
• Participate in and support evidence based nursing practice as demonstrated by involvement in research activities on the unit.
• Provide input into evaluation process of self and other team members
4. Demonstrate, promote and assist with the Performance Improvement (PI) process to ensure the highest quality patient care.
• Provide input for the evidence based practice guidelines and formulation of policies, procedures, and protocol specific to unit with approval of appropriate committees.
• Serve on committees/councils or quality teams.
5. Demonstrate key behavioral skills related to the provision of patient care.
• Demonstrate initiative and flexibility in provision of patient care.
• Serve as a positive role model and a clinical resource.
• Employ strategies to promote a healthy and safe environment.
• Utilize effective, appropriate, timely communication skills.
• Support medical center goals and management decisions.
6. Performs all other duties as assigned.