General Job Description
This position performs blood sample collection from hospital patients for analysis or other medical purposes. May also assist in laboratory processing functions and CLIA-waived testing.
Detailed Job Description
- Welcomes patients and visitors in a warm, friendly and professional manner as they need phlebotomy services.
- Verifies patient information and identification is correct for services ordered
- Performs venipuncture and capillary punctures on patients
- Provides instructions and education to patients on proper specimen collection process.
- Upholds all infection control, specimen collection procedures, OHSA, HIPAA and regulatory body requirements to ensure cleanliness and safety of others and self
- Coordinates specimen orders, collection and pick-ups with hospital staff to meet customer needs
- Ability to navigate LIS and EMR systems using basic computer-skills
- Performs lab testing both waived and moderately complex as assigned, may assist in laboratory instrumentation verifications
- Performs other duties as assigned
Work Experience Requirements
- Prior experience preferred or recent training program graduate
- High school diploma or GED is required.
- Basic Life Support certificate or willingness to obtain is required.