GDIT is seeking a Senior Scientist in support of the NMCPHC which is the Navy and Marine Corps’ center for public health services. NMCPHC provides leadership and expertise to ensure mission readiness through disease prevention and health promotion in support of the National Military Strategy.
- This role initiates and executes scientific research and/or development studies. Analyzes problems and applies theoretical techniques to develop solutions.
- Develop and implement new research objectives, establish project priorities, define methods of approach and execute the study. Provide scientific conclusions and interpretations.
- Responsible for innovative use of scientific research concepts, principles, and practices and contributes to advanced methods and techniques on Technical Area Tasks.
- Epidemiologists are responsible for carrying out a full range of complex epidemiologic and surveillance activities for the identification and characterization of population based risk factors.
- Epidemiologist also develop, measure and evaluated population health metrics. Epidemiologists are technical experts and advisors who conduct continuous health and disease surveillance.
- Develop the planning and execution of investigations of actual and suspected disease clusters/outbreaks and evaluate existing control measures. Epidemiologists also identify critical outcome measures (both morbidity and mortality based) for the evaluation of clinical services and medical management practices, disease prevention programs, and health and wellness initiatives.
- Subject matter expertise in one or more specific areas of PH and these areas include: health analytics, health surveillance, disease surveillance, Biosurveillance, population health, behavioral health, mental health, suicide analysis, deployment health, injury analysis, environmental health, occupational health, industrial hygiene, preventive medicine, medical readiness, acute and chronic disease/illness, health risk assessment, emerging PH threats, and disease investigation.
- Epidemiologists shall have advanced knowledge of how to conduct comprehensive investigations to identify and characterize risk factors, to develop strategies to reduce injury and disease incidence or mitigate health risk, and to evaluate and recommend methods of control including preventive measures.
- Epidemiologists shall have advanced knowledge and expertise in the use of statistical programs such as Statistical Analysis System (SAS) and Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) to evaluate epidemiological questions; knowledge and skill to utilize other programs, including databases, to manipulate and analyze data; and ability to apply new technologies in bioinformatics and other information technologies (including geo-spatial analysis) that are changing the way we collect, analyze, and synthesize information from multiple disciplines at an ever increasing pace.
- Epidemiologists shall have advanced knowledge of surveillance monitoring systems such as ESSENCE (Electronic Surveillance System of the Early Notification of Community-based Epidemics), NEDSS (National Electronic Disease Surveillance System), DMED (Defense Medical Surveillance System), as well as ability to access data accounts such as the MHS Data Repository (MDR), M2 (Military Health System [MHS] Mart Management and Analysis Reporting Tool [MART]), JPTA (Joint Patient Tracking Application) as well as other health data systems
- Masters or PhD preferred
- 5+ years experience initiating and executing scientific research and/or development studies
- Advanced knowledge and expertise in the use of statistical programs such as Statistical Analysis System (SAS) and Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) to evaluate epidemiological questions.
- Advanced knowledge of surveillance monitoring systems.
- Advanced knowledge of how to conduct comprehensive investigations to identify and characterize risk factors.
- Advanced knowledge of how to develop strategies to reduce injury and disease incidence or mitigate health risk, and to evaluate and recommend methods of control including preventive measures.
- Must be a US citizen and the ability to obtain an interim secret clearance
- Active Secret clearance strongly preferred
- PhD preferred
- SAS Certification