Job Type: Internship
This position is full-time (40hrs/week) and reports to the Dir Product Dev and Eng.
The Software Engineer Intern will be responsible for working within cross functional teams to understand requirements and develop medical device software to meet regulatory and customer expectations. The position includes the design and development, prototyping, testing and documentation of medical device software products.
- Work on multiple projects to develop new medical device software and update existing products through the software life-cycle process.
- Design, code, test, and document software in compliance with medical device regulations and standards.
- Develop software for feasibility prototypes.
- Work closely with cross-functional groups, including Hardware Engineering counterparts to define product requirements.
- Work closely with Hardware Team for firmware/hardware integration.
- Represent software development in product development teams, including design reviews.
- Ensure all product software is developed in accordance with the software development process, including requirements definition, architecture, design, implementation, debugging, and software testing.
- Participate in code reviews and perform module testing.
- Organize and conduct software technical reviews and software development phase reviews.
- Manage software and labeling translation projects.
- Assess software failures as part of customer complaint investigations.
- Provide design solutions for existing software, with particular attention to improvement of overall system performance, ease-of-use, and safety.
- Be capable of owning and completing tasks with the time pressures typical of new product development. • Understand and adhere to the company’s Code of Ethical Conduct and ensure that personal actions, and the actions of employees supervised, comply with the policies, regulations and laws applicable to the business.
- Maintain a professional and credible image with key physicians, consultants, suppliers, and co-workers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Professional and positive approach, self-motivated, team player, creative with the ability to work on own initiative.
- Experience with agile development.
- Strong programming skills, familiarity with C++.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Self-motivated, self-directed, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work cross-functionally with a distributed team across Engineering, Design, Customer Success, Marketing and Business Development.
- Experience in the Medical Device Industry strongly preferred.
- Substantial experience programming in C++.
- Familiarity with Robot Operating System (ROS).
Minimum Education Requirements:
- Completing at least junior year of a Bachelors Degree with a major in computer science (computer engineering or other related majors may be considered).
- In lieu of a degree in progress, demonstrated project work and skills could merit consideration.
- Current master’s students focusing in computer science (or related areas).
- New graduates (from an undergraduate or graduate degree) are also encouraged to apply and strongly preferred. Internship could lead to offer for regular full-time.
- First internship period is from June 1st to August 31st, 2021. Candidates interested in interning in fall or spring are encouraged to apply, but please indicate time-frame in cover letter.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made t enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.