At Full Circle Dairy we believe that automated feeders are the future of calf raising. We have transitioned our replacement heifer program from individual hutches outside, to raising our calves inside in group pens off of four automated feeders. Our internship program gives students hands-on experience with automated feeders, as well as with our animals. Our department encompasses newborn, weaned, breeding age, and pregnant heifers allowing for plenty of opportunity for an individualized internship experience based on your interests!
Main Purpose: to learn and apply skills and knowledge in raising replacement calves and heifers
- Acquire practical on-farm knowledge related to the care and diagnosing of replacement calves and heifers
- Understand variables/constraints that affect decision-making of treatment, care, and everyday life in the replacement heifer program
- Understand how to use the automated feeder program as a diagnostic tool for calf health
- Learn to correctly administer intramuscular, subcutaneous, and intravenous shots following Beef Quality Assurance Standards
- Learn to correctly apply paste dehorner
- Learn proper livestock handling/restraining techniques
- Become proficient in the maintenance and cleaning of automated feeders
- Become proficient in the reading, recording, and entering of herd health records via DairyComp305
Mentoring: students will work and learn under the direct supervision of management and former interns. Weekly performance meetings can be requested.
Application Deadline: Summer 2021 applications are due by 11:59 pm EST December 7, 2020. Fall and spring internships are also offered, with applications considered on a rolling basis. Internship are available for both 3 months and 6 months or more. Recent alumni (<3 years from graduation) are welcome to apply, as well. Internship start and end dates are flexible after hire.
- Paid internship
- Housing available
- Possibility for AI certification
- Possibility for full time employment
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.