Overview: To provide support and advocacy services, on an on-call basis, designed to empower residents and children who are victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.
Knowledge and Skills: Ability to work with and advocate for individuals with diverse backgrounds and diverse points of view. Ability to handle multiple job duties, flexibility in responding to unique situations, demonstrated oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated conflict resolution skills.
Education and Work Experience: A degree in Human Services or related field preferred. Thorough understanding of domestic violence required. At least 1 year of experience in a position requiring a high degree of independent judgment and problem solving.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answers crisis calls, explains options, and assists in getting residents and children to safety.
- Completes in-take and exit procedures with shelter residents.
- Provides crisis intervention and advocacy to residents in all shelter programs.
- Provides basic education regarding the dynamics of domestic violence, the impact on children, non-violent parenting techniques, etc.
- Assists residents with goal setting, advocacy, referrals, and other assistance.
- Provides advocacy and follow-up as needed with outside agencies.
- Reviews program logs and documents interactions with residents.
- Maintains records and statistics as part of the Agency’s Program Evaluation system.
- Assists in problem solving and conflict resolution among residents.
- Participates in the cleaning and minor maintenance of the shelters and transitional units.
- Responds to requests for assistance or supplies from shelter residents.
- Assist with special projects and tasks as assigned by the Program Coordinator.
The On-Call Advocate will accept shifts on an as-needed basis, both in advance and on short-notice, working a minimum of one shift per month. The On-Call Advocate also signs up to be available (e.g. able to work if needed) for overnight shifts at least five times per month. You will be compensated for this back-up coverage.