First Book’s Mission
• First Book is an international nonprofit organization that provides children from low income families the opportunity to read and own their first new books.
• First Book plays a role in transforming the quality of preschool and after-school programs nationwide.
• First Book focuses the power of the private sector on public change
About the Internship:
First Book has an exciting opportunity for entrepreneurial individuals who share a passion for our mission, have a wide array of personal qualities and talents, and possess superior written and verbal communication skills. A good match for this position will be someone with a nonprofit heart and a corporate mindset; someone who is collaborative and independent, thrives in a fast-paced environment, is flexible, and has a sense of humor.
First Book offers interns the opportunity to work flexibly within its teams:
• Accounting: Reconcile various accounts payable, basic accounting needs
• Development: Assist in achieving the revenue goals of the organization and should possess superior writing, research and interpersonal skills. Provide support for the full range of fundraising activities, including prospect research, individual giving, and special events.
• National Engagement: Assist in the development and execution of direct marketing campaigns designed to recruit and engage new non-profit partners and recipient groups.
• Strategic Alliances: Implement cause-based marketing campaigns for some of First Book’s corporate partners. Examples include Cheerios, Build-A-Bear Workshop, and Baskin-Robbins. Develop new business leads for corporate partnerships and cause-marketing campaigns for First Book, a leader in both philanthropy and public-private sector partnerships, focused on children’s literacy.
• Marketing and Communications: Update and maintain social media presence including Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Pinterest and others as applicable. Designing flyers, graphics, editing movies and other marketing material.
First Book offers eCommerce interns the opportunity to work flexibly within its teams. Although you may indicate which team(s) you are most interested in, this internship is for the entire eCommerce department and you will be expected to work independently and cooperatively across all teams as needed.
Possible tasks within each team include:
- Assist First Book Marketplace operations including tasks related to inventory reconciliation, order processing, Salesforce case processing for member inquiries, and publisher invoice processing and approval.
- Support First Book Member Services by answering member support requests and assisting with basic data input and analysis.
- Research product data (e.g., product images, format, pricing, taxonomy/categories, etc.) for book and nonbook items on the First Book Marketplace (https://www.fbmarketplace.org/).
- Attend meetings directly related to the eCommerce department and interdepartmental meetings to understand the organizational flow of business decisions and projects.
- Contribute ideas on how to merchandise products on the First Book Marketplace, including brainstorming ideas and creating content for social media and the First Book blog.
- Attend Children’s Book Guild (http://www.childrensbookguild.org/) virtual events when topics are related to publishing, diversity, and access.
- Research book data (e.g., ISBN, format, pricing, relevant topics, etc.) for new and prospective books for special order partners.
- Support special orders by performing stock checks with vendors, updating tracking information for orders from vendors and orders to partners, and confirming delivery of orders to recipients.
- Read books under consideration for purchase, write detailed and thoughtful opinions, and discuss them at Read & Report meetings.
- Assist with product curation and research for Right to Sell products on the First Book Marketplace, coordinate product donations from vendor partners and donors, and compile and analyze First Book Marketplace sales data.
Opportunities for professional development include the following:
- Program-specific training (Excel, Salesforce, Magento)
- Professional Development through LinkedIn Learning and Salesforce Trailhead
- Attendance (virtually) at book-related events in the DC area
- Capstone project related to publishing industry/children’s literature
- Participation in conversations with authors, illustrators, and members of the publishing community
- Networking opportunities with other First Book interns and staff
- Remote work experience
**In addition to an hourly wage, First Book will pay commuting costs throughout the internship**
In addition to your resume, please submit a cover letter that details which department you are interested in working within.
To Apply: Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter detailing which department you are interested in working within to http://firstbook.force.com/careers . No phone calls please.
Potential interns should be college students with strong communication and writing experience, the ability to juggle multiple projects, and excellent interpersonal skills. Candidates should have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 and possess a strong interest in a career in the nonprofit sector coupled with private sector experience, knowledge, or interest.