This summer get paid to make a positive impact, develop professional skills, and have FUN!
Located in the Lakes Region of southwest Maine, Fernwood Cove is a girls’ half-season overnight summer camp. We are currently seeking dedicated and creative-thinking applicants for our Summer Program Intern position. This position provides a holistic experience in summer camp operations, with a focus on program and activity planning, development, and implementation. it is ideal for anyone seeking a career in the Outdoor Education/Adventure, Recreation, or Tourism industries.
Seasonal lodging, meals, and laundry service are included with all camp counselor positions.
Interns are supervised by the Associate Director of Staff Development who has over a decade of training and leading seasonal staff members and interns. Interns can expect to work at least sixty hours per seven-day week throughout the duration of the nine week internship. Interns receive individualized training specific to their role and responsibilities. This includes, but is not limited to database use, phone and email communications, budgeting, equipment and supply purchasing, development of activity operating procedures, staff training and leadership, activity and event coordination. Additionally, interns participate in the full ten-day Fernwood Cove staff training. Opportunities for First Aid and CPR/AED certification are also available.
Specialized Internship areas of work/study include:
- Waterfront and Aquatics Program
- Teen Leadership Development Program
- Outdoor Adventure Program
Specific learning objectives are guided by the professional goals and academic requirements of each intern. General learning objectives include developing leadership, communication, and organizational skills as they relate to program planning, staff coordination, and overall business operations. Interns receive regular feedback regarding performance, growth, and needed improvements. Additionally, interns regularly assess their progress towards meeting personal, professional, and academic goals.
Interns can expect to complete a wide variety of tasks, helping to ensure a holistic learning experience. Specific responsibilities related to planning and coordination of specialized activity days, assisting in the coordination of camper instructional activities, and coordinating designated evening programs. Interns are responsible for staff training and supervision, program and activity development, purchasing and coordination of supplies, staff scheduling, and overseeing program/activity implementation.
Some educational institutions require prior approval before the start of an internship. It is the responsibility of the student to check with their institution to be sure they meet any requirements before they accept a position.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Junior or Senior level students or recent graduates in Recreation Management, Outdoor/Adventure Education, Sports Management, Hospitality/Tourism, Business Management, or similar.
- Have a strong desire to learn while also contributing to the overall success of Fernwood Cove programs.
- Prior training and/or professional experience in specialized interest areas.
- Prior experience working in the outdoor/adventure recreation or education industry, with summer camp specific experience preferred.
- Highly motivated and able to complete tasks without direct supervision.
- Prior peer leadership in an academic or professional setting preferred.
- Prior experience working with children required.
Top Reasons To Work At Fernwood Cove This Summer
- Receive academic credit while getting paid.
- Develop valuable leadership, communication, time management, and problem solving skills while making lifelong friendships.
- Serve as a mentor and role model to Fernwood Cove Staff, Campers, and CITs.
- Join a safe and supportive global community with a focus on personal growth for all
- Work in the beautiful surroundings of Maine alongside young adults with a similar drive and passion to make an impact as yourself.
About Fernwood Cove
Be a part of the Fernwood Cove community where you will learn and grow while also having a positive impact on others.
Fernwood Cove is an overnight summer camp for girls located in Harrison, Maine. Proudly traditional, it offers a complete sleep away camp experience in two 3 ½-week sessions. A welcoming and inclusive community where girls develop life-long friendships while gaining valuable communication, team work, and decision making skills that last a lifetime. Whether it’s team building on the high ropes course, gymnastics in the gym, creating personalized projects in creative arts, or building confidence through performances in theatre, campers are promised to receive high-quality, skill-based instruction from dedicated staff. A supportive community that fosters the growth and development, nestled on the shores of Island Pond, Fernwood Cove provides extraordinary summers for girls!