Title: Startup/Generalist Intern
Location: Fully-Remote or on-site in Quincy, MA
Duration: June 1st through August 31st, 2021
Hours: Part-time (~20 hours a week)
Description: Before we get into who we are, what we’re looking for, let’s start off by sharing what you’ll learn.
As previous interns ourselves, we wanted to design an internship that avoids some of the common mistakes and pitfalls. We’ve been in internships that are boring, stuck with unskilled manual data entry labor, not working on anything meaningful, and (perhaps the worst) not learning anything actually useful or tangible. At eCS, we’re trying to foster a fun, positive environment where there is a lot of learning, useful information shared, and formal training despite being a small software startup. Oh, don’t know anything about cybersecurity or tech startups? That’s ok! We’re here to teach and learn, and during the Summer 2021 semester, we plan on having guest speakers come in on a bi-weekly basis to present their respective functions/fields. Learn first hand how various departments work, and gain a better understanding of what you like (and dislike) prior to graduating and entering the workforce. We believe this is a huge value add for students who might not know exactly what they want to or are unsure where to start. In Spring 2021, we had a team of 4 great interns who were able to learn about the following topics via guest speakers:
- Startups vs Corporate — Pros, cons, comparisons. Also, what comprises a tech co?
- Sales & Business Development — All things revenue and partnership related.
- Marketing — Covering traditional and new marketing tactics.
- Product — Hear about what managing a product is all about.
- Engineering — Learn about how front end and back end powers product. Plus UX/UI.
- HR/Admin/Ops — Back office is the unsung hero of companies. Learn why.
- Finance/Legal — More back-office roles. Equally and critically important!
- Job Hunting — We’ll actually take time (over 3 sessions) to start our own individual job searches together, drawing on a playbook that is certain to lead to a successful full-time role. Learn best practices about job hunting from experts that you’ll be able to reuse throughout your life.
In addition to these sessions, we are willing to provide continued support to help you land your post-internship role. Upon successful completion, a letter of recommendation and LinkedIn endorsement will be provided. If there is a manner in which you can receive school/class credit for this internship, we will work with you to make this happen. Our goal is to make this an experience you look back at and think “Wow, this internship at eCS was actually valuable.”
Now that we have that out of the way let’s tell you more about us! We are ezCybersecurity Systems (eCS), a small software startup that is working on making the internet safer for end-users. We create software (technically DaaS) that helps organizations secure their network perimeter with our proprietary data and with our vast integrations. We are Boston, MA-based but open to working with a fully remote intern in any U.S. time zone. We take an ethical approach, value transparency, and strongly believe in our potential to learn and pick up new skills. Check out our values here.
A few traits we look for in our interns:
- A serious desire to learn. Experience and knowledge is what we can provide to our interns, so if you’d like to learn a lot about how tech companies work, the workforce in general, and have the skills to run a comprehensive job search at any point in your life, you’re in the right place.
- A history of being organized and proactive.
- Open-mindedness to work on a variety of projects, wear multiple hats depending on the current task at hand.
- Work collaboratively in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Work well individually, communicate with your team leads, etc.
How to apply: Interested applicants can apply here, nothing else required 🥳