In this role, you will support the Joint Artificial Intelligence Center (JAIC) which is the Department of Defense’s (DoD) Artificial Intelligence (AI) Center of Excellence that provides a critical mass of expertise to help the Department harness the game-changing power of AI. To help operationally prepare the Department for AI, the JAIC integrates technology development, with the requisite policies, knowledge, processes and relationships to ensure long term success and scalability.
ERPi is currently seeking a Cognitive/Human Factor Engineer to provide support at our Washington, DC site (currently remote due to COVID-19).
Primary responsibilities include:
- Analyzes system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, and programming techniques and controls.
- Incorporates human factors, human systems, and cognitive engineering elements into current and future product delivery programs.
- Applies the principles, methods and techniques of user-based design with an in-depth knowledge of complex computer-based systems to support capabilities that include development of artificial intelligence solutions.
- Defines problems, and develops and coordinates study/project plans.
- Determines sources of data and /or sample sizes: compiles, organizes, and analyzes data: and recommends alterative courses of action to senior JAIC leaders.
- Follows a cognitive engineering process as required by international and national regulatory bodies and design and conduct appropriate evaluations to validate new AI technology and changes to currently fielded software and systems.
- Applies expertise in knowledge elicitation, systems engineering, user interface design, human subjects testing, training programs, and procedures in support of developing new interface systems and methodologies.
- Designs and prototypes specific AI or ML solutions. Understands user needs, behaviors, and motivations. Through empathizing with the user, the analyst can inform design decisions and advocate for the user.
- Utilizes mathematical and statistical techniques, elements of cognitive engineering, systems engineering principles, and innovative approaches to develop new solutions to previously highlighted and or new problems or problems, which may be totally lacking in precedent.
- Documents use cases, work models, benchmarks and system and user interface mockups to orient product delivery.
- Decisions and recommendations deal with issues that are not susceptible to treatment by acceptable methods and have a critical impact on the Missions Directorate, the JAIC and end users.
- Demonstrates creativity and foresight by identifying, preparing, and presenting detailed technical reports and briefings on new concepts and technical directions impacting programs/projects, and defining future technology requirements.
- Collaborates with equipment designers and/or software engineers in the planning, design, development, and utilization of artificial intelligence applications to support the breadth of warfighting and support functions of the military.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary product teams to deploy machine learning algorithms to prototype testing and production.
- Captures detailed observations and user feedback analyses and user evaluations on electro mechanical, disposables and graphic user interface-type user interfaces.
- Prioritizes user feedback, and assist the team in driving usability findings.
- Understands user centered design and human factors principles and develop, retrieve and communicate suitable data to support design teams in detailed product development and requirements definitions.
- Drafts engineering plans, conducts task analyses, writes evaluation protocols for usability research activities, heuristic, formative and summative evaluations.
- Initiates and formulates plans and carries out project(s) through extensive and specialized original performance analyses and evaluations.
- Responsible for the completeness, adequacy, and validity of assumptions.
- Evaluates alternative courses of action and makes recommendations based on sound scientific theory and research.
Qualifications: Required & Desired Skills and Clearance:
- Bachelors Degree in human factors, psychology, communications, computer science, or related field
- 4-8+ years of relevant work experience
- Experience with software usability testing, including preparing test plans and associated wireframes, facilitating test sessions, analyzing data, and reporting and presenting results
- Any usability/ UX related certification (e.g. CUA) is a Nice to Have.
- Must have an active Secret Clearance.