Founded by brothers Ernest and Julio Gallo in 1933 in Modesto, California, E. & J. Gallo Winery is the world’s largest family-owned winery and the acclaimed producer of award-winning wines and spirits featured in more than 90 countries around the globe. A pioneer in the art of grape growing, winemaking, sustainable practices, marketing and worldwide distribution, Gallo crafts and imports wines and spirits to suit a diverse range of tastes and occasions, from everyday offerings to boutique, luxury bottlings.
E. & J. Gallo Winery is the world’s foremost winery in the art and science of grape growing and wine making; and in the distribution and marketing of wines worldwide. With twelve wineries strategically located across the west coast and access to grapes from vineyards in all of the premier grape-growing areas of California and Washington, E. & J. Gallo Winery produces wines in every category, to suit every taste.
The Harvest Laboratory Internship Program is searching for qualified candidates to fill nine 5-6 month positions (approximately July through December). Our harvest lab interns will have the opportunity to interface with all levels of the company, including production staff, lab staff and winemaking staff in a fast-paced, dynamic working environment. The intern’s essential functions include, but are not limited to (varies by location):
· Assist in lab blends, fining trials, monitoring wine health, and sampling.
· Assist with some aspects of winemaking from grapes through wine.
· Execute daily analysis (including Brix, Alcohol, pH, TA, Free & Total SO2, RS, ML, VA, NH3 and NOPA) in our analytical laboratory.
· Sample tanks and barrels to aid in monitoring red fermentations.
· High school diploma or GED from an accredited institution.
· Currently enrolled at a college or university and working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Fermentation Science,Biology, Viticulture, Microbiology, or Food Science ; or a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Fermentation Science, Biology, Viticulture, Microbiology, or Food Science.
· Required to lift and move up to 50 lbs.
· Applicant is required to climb fixed stairs with handrails and vertical ladders with hoop cages to a height of 40 feet.
· Required to be 21 years of age or older.
· The position requires availability to work evenings, weekends and holidays when necessary.
· Strong verbal, written, analytical and interpersonal skills.
· Senior class standing at a college or university and working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Fermentation Science, or Biology.
· Strong work ethic, attention to detail, teamwork, and interpersonal skills.
· Classroom experience with standard wine analytical techniques.
· Areas of knowledge would include general lab experience with pH meters, titrations, and lab-ware.
· Experience with Microsoft Office and database systems (LIMS).
Physical Demands and Work Environment
· During crush, work estimated at 15% – 50% (but not limited to) outside w/ weather of varying types.
· Wet/Slippery conditions vary and may include work in rain.
· Occasionally required to work at elevated heights and in small spaces.
· Applicant must be able to climb fixed stairs with handrails and vertical ladders with hoop cages to a height of 20 feet.
· Noise levels may vary. Occasional situations where ear protection is required.
Gallo does not sponsor for employment based visas for this position now or in the future.
How to Apply
Please apply at the link below to be considered: http://tinyurl.com/CoastalLab17
Possible work locations:
● LOUIS MARTINI WINERY (St. Helena, CA) ● GALLO OF SONOMA (Healdsburg, CA) ●
● COURTSIDE WINERY (San Miguel, CA) ● ASTI WINERY (Cloverdale, CA) ●
● EDNA VALLEY VINEYARD (San Luis Obispo, CA) ● J VINEYARDS & WINERY (Healdsburg, CA)