Development Counsellors International (DCI), a destination marketing firm headquartered in New York City with regional offices in Denver, Los Angeles and Toronto, is looking to hire an experienced Copywriter to join our “place marketing” agency in NYC or Denver. For more information about DCI – named one of Outside Magazine’s “Best Places To Work” – visit www.aboutdci.com.
As a Copywriter at DCI, you’ll apply your writing know-how to lead and develop compellingly written place marketing campaigns. You’ll also work your editing magic to grow other budding writers on our team, while keeping design deadlines on track. This is your opportunity to work with a talented team who take delight in cleverness in writing.
On a daily basis, you’ll sit with a second cup of coffee and knock out some content for a new client website. You’ll then take some time to research and write a 1000 word blog post for our marketing blog based on a seemingly brilliant idea from a colleague. You’ll meet with team members later to go over content strategy, dividing and conquering as needed, before moving on to writing thought leadership articles or digital advertisements for our tourism and economic development clients based on info provided by account managers all while fighting a dozen other small fires that simmer in the background. No day is the same, thankfully. It’s not quite Mad Men, not quite The Newsroom, but somewhere in between, all with a focus on marketing places.
A Little Bit About You:
● You should be just as comfortable writing third-person editorial like a journalist as you are writing snazzy web copy and inspiring ad copy across B2B and B2C
● You thrive in fast-paced environments while understanding the importance of checking (and rechecking) on the details.
● You’re grammar royalty in your circle of friends. You have thoughts on the Oxford comma, for example, and are prepared not to split your infinitives.
● You’re wickedly clever. Your tongue is sharper than a sword and should you find yourself in a battle of wits, you would easily conquer.
● While other kids were carrying walkmans or CD players or heck, even iPods depending on your generation, you were carrying a dictionary: You have a love and admiration for languages, and you play on Duolingo while friends play Candy Crush.
● You’re prepared to think outside of the box and immediately just cringed at the cliche nature of asking you to think “outside the box.”
● You have a passion for places. You love exploring the world (or your own backyard), meeting new people, engaging in local and authentic experiences and uncovering the interesting and uniqueness of places you visit.
Write winning content that intrigues, inspires and engages audiences, while also driving results for DCI clients. In addition to supporting clients, this copywriter will effectively communicate the DCI brand messaging, positioning, and call to action to our prospects and current customers through thought leadership pieces on our own marketing channels.
● Interview subject matter experts to write web pages, articles, and blog posts, and even the occasional video script on a range of topics in a clear and confident voice
● Responsible for writing headlines and body copy for various types of digital tactics, including websites, interactive visual aids, videos, advertising, banners, landing pages, and emails all with the sacred SEO in mind
● Play an integral part of assigned account teams, working closely with Account, Strategy, Project Management and Creative partners to shape the brand story and pull through messaging across channels, including websites, CRM, search campaigns, display and social media, including potential longform posts
● Convey complex information into compelling and memorable messages for consumers, tailoring the content and style of writing based on the assignment and purpose, and understanding the target audience to help identify key messages and work with the creative teams to help bring this to life to ensure the visual elements complement the words
● Contribute creative thinking for campaigns and initiatives that pronounce the creative strategy and brand personality
● Ability to independently manage multiple projects, sometimes for different brands/industries
● Clearly and confidently present work to internal members of the team, including Creative leads, Account team members, and Partners; comfortable challenging the status quo
● Understand and translate various client brand and style guidelines into a clear, confident, and human voice
● Identify and recommend new and innovative creative ideas that will deliver on campaign goals
● Demonstrated English writing ability (Exceeds Expectations or higher). Willingness to learn
● B2B and B2C Experience
● A keen understanding of SEO and how this can guide content marketing efforts from planning to implementation.
● A penchant for creative thinking and writing
● BA in a writing related field (e.g., Writing, English, Journalism) or equivalent experience
● 2-4 years of copywriting experience
Preferred but Not Required:
● Past work at an advertising agency
● Experience with WordPress and/or HTML
● Experience in an SEO-related role
Salary, benefits and perks:
● Competitive base salary with unique “open book” management approach that delivers performance-based incentives
● Medical, dental and vision coverage
● Professional mentoring/development budget
● Flexible start times and summer hours program (Free Fridays!)
● Work from home one day a week once eligible
● Opportunity to travel for work (as client assignments permit) and with our agency’s comp day program, we encourage you stay an extra day on your own to explore
● 401k match program
Is this Gig for You?
Send us a note telling us why you’re a right fit for the job, highlighting the copywriting experience you have and including how you discovered your passion for places. Bonus points for sharing a few of your favorite literary quotes that inspire you on a daily basis.