We are seeking a postdoctoral researcher specializing in food microbiology to work on various projects in the Departments of Food, Agricultural and Biological Engineering and Food Science and Technology. The position involves considerable interdisciplinary and collaborative activities and is located in the campus of The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio.
Participates in the design, execution, and control of research projects dealing with kinetics and mechanism of bacterial inactivation during sanitization of fresh produce and inactivation of vegetative bacterial cells and spores under ohmic heating and moderate electric fields, the effects of electric fields on microorganisms, and other related industry funded projects; coordinates the setup of laboratory instruments; performs research experiments; coordinates and executes the collection and analysis of data; performs extensive literature reviews; writes manuscripts and project reports; provides general instruction and oversight to lab personnel regarding procedures and techniques for research projects.
- 40% Develops and executes experimental procedures to collect interpret and present data.
- 20% Prepares research papers and manuscripts for publication and presentation at conferences and workshops, writes project reports articles and other research documents.
- 15% Performs critical analyses of literature relevant to the research projects.
- 15% Participates in the development of general goals for the research project and in the planning of experimental work.
- 10% Provides general instruction and oversight to lab personnel regarding procedures and techniques for research projects.
Minimum Education Requirement:
Doctorate (Academic) in Microbiology or Food Science & Technology or equivalent education/experience.
Ability to translate, adapt and apply academic and/or practical knowledge to conduct microbiological research on foods required: prior experience in a postdoctoral position desired; strong background in microbiology and/or microbial safety of food desired; experience working with pathogenic bacteria desired; experience working with novel preservation technologies such as ohmic heating and moderate electric field processing desired; knowledge of microbial inactivation, kinetics, injury and recovery desired; experience designing experiments and analyzing data desired; ability to communicate with, and participate in a team required; successful completion of a criminal background check required.
Application Deadline: Until position is filled
Contact: Dr. Sudhir Sastry
The Ohio State University
Department of Food, Agricultural and Biological Engineering
590 Woody Hayes Drive
Columbus, OH 43210