Mechanical engineering intern needed to participate in the development of innovative medical devices. Work as part of a team driving product through exploratory testing. The candidate is expected to be mostly self-sufficient with fixture design, test method development, test execution and data collection and post processing, requiring a mid level of guidance. The candidate must have excellent problem solving and analytical skills and be able to learn quickly in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
DEKA offers Co-Ops for full time students* (must be at least 18 years of age).
How you will make an impact:
- Generate creative solutions to testing problems and demonstrate their viability considering factors such as risk, reliability, manufacturability, serviceability and cost
- Transition concepts into fixtures using 3D CAD solid modeling, defining requirements, selecting materials and processes, interacting with suppliers and manufacturers, and documenting the development process
- Troubleshoot fixture failure modes to root cause and develop quick, effective solutions
- Coordinate with others in a multi-disciplinary team environment including electrical, software and controls
- Evaluate fixture designs through prototype testing and requirements verification
- Technical review for approval of all mechanical component and assembly designs, analysis, and testing
- Develop and document test procedures
- Perform testing, collect data and post-process data to inform/verify device design development
What we are looking for:
- Must be currently enrolled in a Mechanical Engineering program
- Experience working in a team environment
- Familiar with 3D printing
- Previous intern/co-op experience in a product development environment
- Experience with evaluating design suitability, including generating of subsystem requirements and performing subsystem testing
What we prefer:
- Familiarity with Arduino or similar prototyping control architecture
- Experience in a medical equipment development environment
- Familiarity with Solidworks or similar CAD package
- Demonstrated experience designing parts using a variety of manufacturing methods, ie: machining, injection molding, forming, 3D printing
*A full time student is defined as being enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits per semester at an undergraduate program, or a minimum of 9 credits per semester for a graduate program.