JOB TITLE: Research & Development Technologist
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF JOB DUTIES:
The Technologist’s responsibilities include: Applying scientific and engineering principles in research, development, production technology, packaging, processing and utilization of food ingredients. Works as part of the Research and Development team to maintain and reformulate existing products, create and launch new products, develop and maintain food product labels and packaging and provide support to production and quality control operations.
Accountable and reports to: Director, Research & Development
Cooperative Relationships with: Quality Control, Operations, Procurement
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND FREQUENCY:
Reports to work when scheduled and on time. Adheres to company policies and departmental guidelines.
Commercialization of new and reformulated products to include: formulation, materials sourcing, costing, plant trials, food safety planning, product labeling, acceptance testing, development and testing of preservation strategies, specification development.
Design and execute experiments and prepare results for review.
Assist in maintenance of product labels and packaging to ensure accuracy and compliance with food labeling regulations.
Maintain accurate and complete record of research and development activities including but not limited to formulas, procedures, requirements, and yield data.
Develop / maintain production procedures and assist / support production operations as needed.
Assist in continuous improvement and process optimization projects.
SECONDARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND FREQUENCY:
Other duties as assigned.
– Duties mostly in a test kitchen with frequent exposure to manufacturing environments.
– Ability to adapt to changes throughout daily operation.
– Must be able to taste and smell food products and flavors, including all food allergens.
EQUIPMENT USED TO PERFORM JOB:
Kitchen, food analysis, manufacturing, and office equipment
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM JOB:
– Requires knowledge in food product design, formulation, ingredient functionality and interaction, process design, product scale-up, plant testing and commercialization.
– Ability to multi-task with strong prioritization and time management skills.
– Attention to detail, follow through and accuracy.
– Strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
– Understand the need for and maintain confidentiality.
– Excellent technical writing skills.
– Proficient with Microsoft Office software.
– This job is light in nature according to the Department of Labor Weight Classifications. Frequent to constant handling, grasping of paper, constant listening, talking, hearing, writing, seeing, reading, dealing with people, influencing others, evaluating information, supervising and use of computer. Frequent standing for prolonged periods of time, stooping, kneeling, and crouching.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED TO PERFORM JOB:
Bachelor of Science – Culinology, Food Science or related
Associates of Applied Science Culinary Arts with Culinology emphasis
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO PERFORM JOB:
Experience in food service and/or food industry, FDA or USDA labeling regulations.
Experience with Genesis nutrition software or production management software.
Bilinguil a plus
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE:
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. D&D reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business, competitive considerations or the work environment change.