CSS Farms, a multi-state agricultural business, strives to provide innovative solutions and superior quality and service to our customers. We proudly and relentlessly continue to meet the highest standards of stewardship when it comes to the three things we value most: our land, our employees, and our communities.
We are a team-oriented company with a high trust, entrepreneurial culture. We value our employees’ opinions, we have a strong work ethic, and are focused on growing great vegetables and developing our operations profitably. People who are most successful at CSS Farms are energetic, self-directed, and pragmatic.
The Agronomy Intern works closely with the CSS Farms Agronomy Team to support and learn hands-on skills related to farm operations. As the Agronomy Intern, you will gain exposure to all facets of our chip potato operation through field work, research projects, and educational opportunities.
In this role, you will:
• Support the Agronomy Team with weekly pest scouting, tissue sampling, crop management and irrigation scheduling.
• Participate in data collection of R&D test plots, and evaluation of on-farm research.
• Assist with irrigation system scheduling and soil moisture management.
• Gain experience in pesticide programs and planning
• Give and receive real-time performance feedback to further your growth and leadership development.
• Deliver and present to management a summary of observations from field scouting and R&D efforts.
• Observe field operations as it relates to potato planting, harvesting, etc.
• Take on other tasks and responsibilities, as needed.
• Walking and working outdoors in the elements.
• Driving between farm sites to move samples and other supplies.
• Regularly lifting objects (such as potato samples) of up to 40-50 lbs.
Expected Hours of Work
• Mid-May through Mid-August (Start and End Dates are Flexible based on Candidate’s schedule)
• Typical, daily farm hours are 7 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday, with occasional hours outside this window during peak times (Planting/Harvest).
• Are pursuing an Associates or Bachelor’s degree in agronomy, crop science or related field.
• A valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain one and pass vehicle insurance verification.
• Are generally tech savvy and can use basic software systems such Excel, Word.
• Possess excellent organizational and project management skills.
• Are an excellent communicator; asking for and valuing positive and constructive feedback in an effort to grow within your role and career.
• In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
• Receive a competitive pay package
• Paid Holidays
• Use of a company vehicle, when applicable
• Reimbursements for eligible travel expenses
• Participate in real-world applications of Agronomy from a leading, US potato company.
• Make valuable contacts within the industry who can assist you with your career development, now and in the future.
• Gain an understanding of the entire business, including agronomy, operations, employee management, and logistics by spending time with Farm, Equipment, and Operations Managers.
CSS Farms is an EOE.
CSS Farms expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.