Job Position Summary: Creators is looking for an editing aficionado who displays grit and has a growth mindset. This person will become part of our editorial, design and creative (EDC) team and collaborative office culture. They must have a willingness to learn and the capability to contribute.
Our mission is to find compelling, uncommon voices and share them with the world.
Everyone has stories, opinions and unique perspectives. Our job is to pull out their best versions and share them.
We syndicate talented and award-winning writers and artists. We edit, sell and distribute their columns and comic strips worldwide.
We publish books. We find compelling authors, help them craft their narrative and then market, sell and distribute their books worldwide.
In 1987, Creators was founded as an independent media and syndication company. Creators has represented more than 1,000 of the most talented writers and artists in the world. Our talent has won an industry-leading number of Pulitzer Prizes, Reuben awards and Peabody awards.
As technology and consumer interests have evolved, Creators has adapted. Remaining unapologetically tied to our journalistic roots, we launched a book publishing division in 2012. Since then, we have published more than 300 books, including 10 Amazon best-sellers.
We believe that the written word is what connects humanity, and we seek to publish narratives that strengthen that connectedness.
Our hardworking employees show grit and maintain a growth mindset.
Located in sunny Hermosa Beach, California, we take our work seriously, but not ourselves.
The editor will work closely with everyone on the EDC team. As a member of this new department, the editor should be enthusiastic about adapting the existing editorial department to the rapidly changing world of media. With the explosion of technology and content creation, the editor must be well versed in all aspects of media in 2021.
The job will include column, comic and book editing and formatting.
The job will include a creative eye and design skills for book covers, marketing materials, etc.
The ideal candidate is passionate about the intersection of media and technology, embracing our corporate culture and adding value in any way possible.
● Editing and formatting political and lifestyle columns according to AP style.
● Editing and formatting comic strips in Photoshop.
● Editing and formatting books.
● Developing and implementing marketing strategies for Creators Publishing.
● Evaluating potential writers and artists.
● Maintaining positive relationships with writers and artists.
● Performing administrative tasks (e.g., answering phones, restocking supplies, offering technical support to colleagues).
● Working efficiently to meet deadlines.
● Writing ad copy and social media posts.
● Designing book covers.
● Creating advertising campaigns and marketing materials.
● Generating story ideas for seasonal packages of lifestyle columns.
● Innovating new ways for the EDC department to adapt to the constantly changing world of media.
Preferred Technical Qualifications:
● Knowledge of grammar and AP style is a must.
● Knowledge about journalistic integrity is preferred.
● Must be well-organized and able to work independently but also be responsive to direction.
● Must be a team player, someone who puts the group ahead of personal gain and who will go above and beyond what is asked of him or her at all times.
● Interest in publishing is a must.
● Passion for new media and knowledge of social media is preferred.
● Some experience, knowledge or interest in marketing is preferred.
● Some experience, knowledge or interest in graphic design is preferred.
● Experience with Photoshop is preferred.
● Experience displaying grit.
● A growth mindset.
● Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
● Critical thinking skills.
● Extremely detail-oriented.
● Willing to pitch in and take direction.
● Willingness to research and learn.
● Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for something.
● Able to learn proprietary software (e.g., content management system).
● Able to multitask and take initiative.
● Desire to learn and to grow as a professional and as a person.
● Must love dogs (dog-friendly office).
Why Work Here:
● Medical, dental and vision insurance.
● Culture of work-life balance.
● Dog-friendly office.
● Located a short walk from the beach.
If interested, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.