Overview of the Underwriting Assistant
Seeking individuals with strong administrative support experience and data entry skills. Proficiency in Word & Excel are a must. Bachelor’s degree required, however, individuals with previous insurance experience and/or some college may be considered.
Duties of the Underwriting Assistant
- Review insurance applications for accuracy and completeness
- Process changes to applications as needed
- Research all aspects of applications submitted to ensure compliance with company guidelines as well as with all state and federal insurance regulatory guidelines
- Prepare renewal instructions according to underwriting policies. This includes detail of rating decisions including credit/debit decisions, non-renewal actions, exclusions and general handling of drivers, etc.
- Forward renewal quotes to underwriters, underwriting region or PMT for approval and then mails approved renewal quotes to agencies
- Utilize proprietary software for rating risk for commercial auto policies
- Receive, manage and complete submissions entered into a proprietary workflow system
- Review and research all submissions and input all data necessary to be sent to underwriting for approval or denial
- Perform other duties as assigned
Requirements of the Underwriting Assistant
- Bachelor degree in business or related field or equivalent work experience
- Basic Math
Preferred Skills for the Underwriting Assistant
- 1-2 years related work experience
- Company guidelines on acceptability and profitability for applications/accounts/policies
- Department practices and procedures
- MS Office Applications
- Rating, statistical coding
- Insurance terminology
- Manuals, policy coverages, endorsements, etc.
- Insurance related courses such as CPCU, IIA, or AU
- Personal computer and software
Schedule of the Underwriting Assistant
- M-F, 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Compensation of the Underwriting Assistant