The Plan Examiner is responsible for reviewing submittals and specifications to ensure proposed construction complies with all adopted code requirements and ordinances by means of a comprehensive plan review. This integral part of the Building Department also provides customer service to residents, contractors and others, when it comes to building and code related matters.
Essential Job Functions:
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs detailed review of submittals to ensure construction plans comply with applicable codes and ordinances.
- If necessary, assists with field inspections on applicable construction projects in order to verify compliance with approved plans.
- Responds to phone, email and in-person inquiries regarding code related questions.
- Collaborates with contractors, architects, and vendors when code requirements and site conditions conflict.
- Compiles plan reviews from other departments along with the Building Department review into a single document.
- Prepare and analyze various written reports for specific projects and code issues.
- Maintains knowledge of existing and changing codes and regulations.
- Arranges meetings with applicants, contractors, builders and architects to review plans. Provides exceptional customer service on behalf of the Building Department.
Education equivalent to an associate degree as well as three years of construction management, building inspection, plan review, or similar relevant experience. Other combinations of education and experience, which could provide the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform this job, may be considered.
Salary and Schedule:
Starting pay rate is 34.00 per hour and is dependent on qualifications. This position works approximately 20 hours per week, Monday through Friday, and generally within five, four-hour shifts. There is some room for scheduling flexibility.
Interested candidates should submit a completed application and/or resume through Indeed or by mail/in-person to: City of Wheaton, Human Resources, 303 W. Wesley Street, Wheaton, IL 60187.
The City of Wheaton is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please contact the Human Resources Department if you require assistance applying.