CITY OF WAUKESHA
An Equal Opportunity Employer Functioning Under an Affirmative Action Plan
Waukesha Parks, Recreation & Forestry
Required: High school diploma or GED equivalent; a valid Driver’s License
Hourly rate: $14.75 starting
Seasonal: May through September, Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Days and hours can be designed to be flexible to coordinate with the applicant’s schedule. Limited year-round work is an option.
Must be 18 years of age or older. Must be able to complete work assignments by working independently or without direct supervision. Must demonstrate proper public relations skills. Must possess a valid driver’s license and good driving record. Potential for limited year-round employment.
The City of Waukesha Parks, Recreation & Forestry Department manages over 1,100 acres in the City of Waukesha, population over 72,000. The department is comprised of 42 full time staff, and approximately 30 seasonal maintenance staff. The department works cooperatively with other City departments, including Public Works, Engineering, Community Development, City Administration, and area agencies such as Waukesha County, Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission, State of Wisconsin, and others.
This position is a part-time, maximum of 40 hours per week seasonal position, and can be structured as an intern or co-op position. It is a three to seven-month term position, with possibility of continuation or renewal in the following year as a staff member. The planned start date is spring of 2021 (the sooner the better) and can be structured to run through an ending date in 2021, depending on the project workload. The individual hired will assist the department with the inventory, drafting, design, construction documents and construction administration of park and trail, improvement and construction projects, and updates to park Master Plans and the Park and Open Space Plan.
Example of Duties
- Draft and prepare maps, plans and construction documents in AutoCAD and/or ArcMap.
- Assist with park Master Plan updates, including drafting and reviewing RFP’s (Request for Proposals).
- Assist with asset management data input and mapping.
- Assist with construction site inspections and daily work reports, calculations and review of quantities and payment applications, as well as drafting RFQ’s (Request for Quotes).
- Assist with development of landscape and park design standards and maintenance manuals
- Complete park property inspections.
- Assist with ADA Audit and inspections.
- Present at Public Information Meetings; Parks, Recreation & Forestry Board meetings; or other public meetings.
- Other duties as assigned; duties may vary based on applicant’s field of study and interest.
- Junior or Senior college/university status, OR graduate majoring in Landscape Architecture, Civil Engineering or Urban Planning; OR Technical College status majoring in Construction/Project Management or Computer Aided Drafting or GIS; OR related studies or programs.
- Ability to use AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018, ArcMap version 10, MS Office Products, and some familiarity with Photoshop, SketchUp or other graphics presentation software. Not all software is required, but preferred to have working knowledge of some of these.
- Basic understanding of park design principles, plan presentation, construction detailing and construction management.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
Any combination of these skills and duties can be adjusted to fit the applicant’s field of study and interests. There is a continuation of ongoing projects that the applicant may select to focus on.
For additional information or questions, contact Melissa Lipska, Parks & Forestry Operations Manager at 262-524-3721 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants MUST complete a City of Waukesha seasonal application. Mail to City of Waukesha Parks, Recreation & Forestry, 1900 Aviation Dr., Waukesha, WI 53188 or fax (262) 524-3713 or email email@example.com. Candidates will be evaluation based on the application and any other supporting documents submitted, references, and a virtual interview. This position will remain posted until it is filled.
Application form available at https://waukesha-wi.gov/658/Employment or at the Parks, Recreation & Forestry Department, or is available via email at request. An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.