General Duty Statement
We’re looking for an experienced professional to join a team that is passionate about building a vibrant, dynamic Saint Paul by leveraging the strengths of a diverse urban core city. This is an exciting and challenging role that will provide you with the opportunity to shape the future of Saint Paul, providing leadership in housing and development policy.
This posting will generate an eligible list that will be used to hire for one year. The current opening is on the Housing team. In this role, you would effectively utilize and leverage a variety of affordable housing finance tools to help shape the City’s housing policy and meet affordable housing and redevelopment needs. However, Economic Development professionals are encouraged to apply as well should future opportunities arise throughout the duration of this list. With the Economic Development team, you would lead commercial development deals and support business investments and job growth in the City through business loan programs. Our current Economic Development strategy articulates the work in more detail. In either role, you would lead real estate development projects on behalf of the City.
- Initiating, planning and managing all aspects of housing projects on behalf of the City of Saint Paul, including property acquisition and assembly, reviewing development proposals, financing, negotiating deal terms, and property sales;
- Negotiating and managing contracts with community organizations, government entities, businesses, and for-profit and non-profit developers;
- Evaluating and underwriting project development proposals requesting City assistance including Tax Increment Finance, Revenue Bonds, Tax Credits, property sales and pass-through development grants, and making investment recommendations to department management and elected officials;
- Providing guidance to other staff on development strategy, policy, and logistics;
- Working collaboratively with colleagues in the department and other City departments to develop creative solutions to building a dynamic, vibrant city for all residents;
- Shaping City policy related to affordable housing or economic development;
- Collaborating with community organizations, government entities and developers on housing projects.
Preferred experience and skills:
- Strong understanding of housing finance and development;
- Expertise with Low Income Housing Tax Credits, state, federal and other multifamily affordable housing finance tools, and the DEED and LCDA grant programs;
- Program management experience of an affordable housing financing program;
- Expertise with mixed income and mixed use developments;
- Housing policy expertise, including policy supporting preservation of Naturally Occurring Affordable Housing;
- Experience with creating and evaluating and underwriting development and operating pro formas;
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate complex projects and financing concepts to the public and elected officials;
- Strong negotiating skills and demonstrated experience negotiating terms for real estate development projects;
- Extensive experience with community engagement, especially with immigrant and minority communities;
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex technical concepts clearly across different audiences and varying levels of the organization;
- Experience working collaboratively across different skill sets and points of view;
- Superior attention to detail, critical thinking, problem solving and organizational skills;
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision while meeting deadlines;
- Flexibility in taking on different roles and responsibilities and adapting to changing environments
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office;
- Research experience – demographics, economics, market trends and policy;
- Bi-lingual competency, ideally Spanish, Hmong, Vietnamese, Somali or Oromo.
- For the Economic Development role:
- Business consulting – particularly minority-owned small businesses and/or start-ups
- Experience in cultural-themed place-making and business development
- Specific experience and knowledge in one or more business sectors: health care; higher education; manufacturing; technology; arts & entertainment; etc.
- Experience with large commercial development and mixed-use projects
Saint Paul is a city of neighborhoods. Like a network of urban villages, our neighborhoods are strong and stable, each with its own unique offerings, texture of historic interest, cultural landmarks, and racial and ethnic diversity. Our population has just exceeded 300,000, and we are home to just over 179,000 jobs. Saint Paul is at the heart of the 3.8 million-person Minneapolis-Saint Paul metropolitan area. More than 80 languages are spoken in the homes of Saint Paul school students, with the four most used languages being English, Spanish, Hmong and Somali. We seek to strengthen our innate assets by meaningfully engaging our diverse residents and businesses to build a city that is vibrant, cosmopolitan and welcoming, and to maximize our unique potential to be a compelling force in the global economy.
The Department of Planning and Economic Development’s mission is to build community wealth through business, housing, jobs, planning, financial and cultural assets.
Essential Functions are the functions that the individual holding the position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation. The Essential Functions for this position are identified in the Supplemental Information section of the Principal Project Manager Job Description.
The City of Saint Paul’s mission is to integrate equity and inclusion into how we approach all our work. Our vision is to be committed to building an equitable and inclusive city that will shift culture in city processes and policies, eliminate structural inequities, and ensure timely and relevant access to services, resources, support, and opportunity to every person in Saint Paul.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Economics, Finance, Real Estate, Housing, Public Administration, Business Administration, Management, or a related field, and six years of progressively responsible, relevant experience.
A combination of education and experience may be substituted to equal at least 10 years for this position
Some positions in this class may require reading, writing, and speaking fluently in a language other than English. Please note if you have language skills.
By Closing Date, you MUST
- Submit a City of Saint Paul online application, including answers to the Supplemental Questionnaire.
- Upload or submit the following document(s) via the online application system, mail, in person, email, or fax. (Zip files and web links will not be accepted. Each uploaded attachment is limited to 10MB.)
- A legible copy of your resume (required)
First time applying online? Read our How to Apply Online Guide.
Selection Process Information
Qualifications Rating: The Qualifications Rating is an assessment of your completed application and answers to the Supplemental Questionnaire. Be as specific and detailed as possible in completing your application and questionnaire. You must submit your completed application and supplemental questionnaire by the application deadline.
Open Job Posting: This posting is open to anyone who meets the position requirements.
Eligible Lists: Eligible lists typically are created from a pass/fail assessment. Those who pass the assessment will be placed on an eligible list for approximately one year. Hiring Managers may interview/hire anyone from the list.
Final Selection Process: A Hiring Manager will consider applicants placed on the list of eligible candidates. You will be notified if you are invited to participate in the final selection process which may include an interview, job simulation, work sample submission, or other evaluation method. .
Condition of Employment: This position will require a background check which may include criminal history, and employment history as a condition of employment. Candidates will be required to submit proof of education to Human Resources upon conditional job offer. The City of Saint Paul encourages individuals to apply for positions regardless of criminal history.
Human Resources Contact Information:
Dan Ferralez at 651-266-6596
200 City Hall Annex
25 West Fourth Street
Saint Paul, MN 55102
To refer to this information, we recommend you print this job posting before you apply.
Veteran’s Preference: If you are a veteran and would like to receive Veteran’s preference in accordance with MN Statute 197.455, you must submit a photocopy of your DD214 preferably at time of application. Click here for more information.
The City of Saint Paul is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Veterans, women, persons of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
The City of Saint Paul offers a competitive benefits package:
Paid / Partial Paid Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance with basic dental
- 17 days of vacation to start and 10 paid holidays per year
- Sick leave
- Life insurance
- Subsidized metro pass
- Deferred compensation options
- State pension (PERA)
- 40 hour work week with occasional overtime
- Dental insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Disability Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Long Term Care Insurance