The City of Olathe Planning Division is seeking a creative, detail-oriented intern to take an active role assisting the professional planning staff in all aspects of current and long range planning. The ideal candidate will have an educational background in urban and regional planning.
City of Olathe Planning works toward realizing the community’s vision and goals for high quality growth and development while preserving the character of existing neighborhoods and services to residents. Come be a part of the community-based strategic plan in reshaping Olathe’s vision to be future ready.
As a Planning Intern, you will perform a variety of tasks, supporting various project managers and collaborating with team members. You will receive on-the-job training as well as mentorship, camaraderie, and exposure to plan production, project financials, and client interactions.
- Prepare reports using statistics, charts, graphs to illustrate planning studies in areas such as population, land use, neighborhoods, housing or zoning.
- Inspect sites and review minor development plan applications, street tree and landscape plans.
- Research and compile, analyze and organize information from maps, reports, and investigations for use in reports and special projects.
- Serve as liaison between committees, departments and outside agencies.
- Participate in and support team planning efforts.
- Assist planning staff with community engagement and outreach.
- Present reports at public meetings.
- Perform clerical duties such as composing, typing and proofreading documents, scheduling appointments and meetings, handling mail and posting public notices.
- Process zoning, project permits and applications.
- Prepare, maintain and update files and records, including land use data and statistics.
- Provide customer assistance/information.
Experience: Possess strong organizational skills. Familiar with computer software such as MS-Word, Excel, and other related computer applications.
Education: Course work in Urban and Regional Planning preferred or a related field.
License: Requires a valid driver’s license with a favorable driving record
Position will require up to 20 hours per week, flexible work schedule. Internship typically extends for one year, more hours during the summer and flexible for upcoming school year.
Successfully pass background investigation, pre-employment physical and drug screen.