Position Title: Communication Intern (Student)
Position Reports To: Community Relations Coordinator
Under the direction of the Community Relations Coordinator, the Communication Intern plays a supporting but critical role in the execution of the communication strategy for the City of La Vista. The intern will perform assignments in the areas of public information, marketing, media relations and community outreach.
Essential Functions (with or without reasonable accommodation)
1. Track media activity and produce periodic reports.
2. Draft social media content and graphics.
3. Assist with the coordination of the City’s social medial content schedule.
4. Draft news content for the City’s website.
5. Draft content and assist with the design of the weekly and quarterly newsletters.
6. Assist with video projects.
7. Assist in capturing photos and videos of department programing and special events.
8. Prepare social media and website reports.
9. Perform research projects as assigned.
10. Assist City departments with promotional materials.
11. Coordinate the promotion of programs in other departments with the overall content
12. strategy of the City’s other communication vehicles.
13. Assist with implementation of the City’s brand.
14. Assist with City events, special occasions and projects as assigned.
15. Assist with special occasion events and projects as assigned.
16. Assist with maintenance of the City’s website and mobile app.
Essential Physical and Environmental Demands
The following physical demands are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
· Work is performed primarily in an office setting, but occasionally outdoors during periods of hot, cold, windy and/or wet conditions.
· Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment.
· Employee must be able to transport himself/herself to and from various locations to attend
meetings and events.
· Employee is required to attend events that will take place outdoors in varying weather and
environmental conditions. These event sites may be hot, cold, dusty and/or noisy.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally asked to stand or sit; walk;
use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and
arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl;
talk and hear.
· The employee performs some light physical labor involved in the set-up of special events including
occasional lifting and/or moving of equipment up to 20 pounds including photographic equipment
used to coverage of events and activities.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision,
peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
· Must be able to hear and understand voices at normal conversational levels
Education, Training, License, Certification and Experience
1. Must be 18 years of age or older.
2. High school diploma or GED.
3. Senior standing or graduate level student in journalism, public relations, English,
communications, public administration or business administration.
4. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Strong research, writing, copy editing, organizational and problem-solving skills.
2. Strong Interpersonal skills.
3. Experience and knowledge of communication via social media.
4. Ability to work independently as was as a member of a team.
5. Ability to think creatively and strategically.
6. Ability to work a varied schedule as necessary to assist with special events and projects.
7. Customer service skills.
8. Excellent work habits and the ability to meet attendance expectations.
9. Knowledge of graphic design is preferred but not required.
10. Knowledge and past use of AP style standards.
11. Experience with the use of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud applications, as well as
website content management systems.
12. Ability to operate still and video cameras, including smartphone cameras.
Contributions this Position Makes to the City
This position supports the communications efforts of the City to promote activities and programs. This communication, and the activities and programs, allow us to enrich the lives of the residents of the City of La Vista.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the City and the employee. It is subject to change as the needs of the City and the requirements of the position change over time.
Note: Drug and background screens will follow all conditional offers of employment.