CITY OF JANESVILLE DIVERSITY STATEMENT:
The citizens of Janesville choose this community, not just as a place to live, but as a place to realize life’s opportunities. We strive to sustain a community culture where differences are recognized, understood, and appreciated. As such, the City of Janesville recognizes the importance of developing an environment where diversity is not merely accepted but embraced and celebrated. As public servants, we believe everyone has the right to be treated with dignity and respect. To this end, we will diligently recruit and retain the most talented employees in an environment that fosters maximizing one’s potential. Therefore, we encourage individuals from all backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences to consider employment with the City of Janesville and serve the residents of “Wisconsin’s Park Place”.
The Operations Department has general laborer positions in several areas, including vehicle maintenance, the City landfill, trash/recycling collection, street painting, technical services, and street construction/maintenance.
Reports directly to the Vehicle Operations & Maintenance Supervisor and indirectly to the VOM Crew Leader.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Providing general labor services in support of garage, vehicle, and equipment maintenance.
2. Perform other duties as assigned.
3. Safely operates City trucks, vehicles, and equipment on and off the public roadways.
4. Reports to supervisor daily assignments completed, work activities, and records.
5. Reports any incident, problem, or question to appropriate supervisor.
6. Follows all safety regulations, policies, and procedures; reports all unsafe conditions and acts to supervisor; reports all accidents to the supervisor immediately whenever possible; follows recognized safe work practices.
RECOMMENDED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum education and experience required to perform essential duties of the position.
Education and Experience
1. 18 years of age or older is required.
2. Valid state-issued driver’s license is required.
For successful performance in this position, the incumbent will need to demonstrate the following knowledge, skills, and abilities.
1. The desired VOM Laborer candidate would possess a background and/or education in fleet and/or heavy equipment maintenance.
1. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
2. Proficient in basic computer skills.
3. Good organizational, judgement, and problem-solving skills.
1. Ability to work independently.
2. Ability to follow verbal or written direction/instruction to complete assigned tasks.
3. Ability to interact/respond to internal customer inquires or guide them to the appropriate staff.
4. Ability to maintain a positive attitude and professional demeanor at all times; address resident and customer concerns in a helpful, courteous manner.
5. Ability to operate City vehicles and equipment in a safe manner.
EQUIPMENT, INSTRUMENTS AND MACHINES:
Machinery and equipment including pick-up trucks, dump trucks (with valid CDL), multi-function tractors, trailers, walk behind compactor, lawn mowers, gas-powered trimmer and blower, common hand and power tools, and cell phones.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by any an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an outdoor environment and may, on occasion, be exposed to adverse weather conditions, including extreme heat, high winds, and wet/humid conditions. The employee may work near moving mechanical parts in precarious places; and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, dust, and vibration. On occasion, the employee is exposed to situations which could involve an element of personal risk, requiring compliance with necessary safety procedures. The noise level in the work environment is generally quiet to moderately noisy.
This position frequently walks, stands, stoops, kneels, crouches, crawls and exerts up to 50 pounds of force by lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling objects. The employee is frequently required to see/observe, talk/speak and listen/hear; use their hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects and equipment; repetitive arm, wrist, hand and eye movements are included. There is frequent twisting, reaching, wrist turning and grasping. The employee may be required to climb or balance. Use of protective equipment is required
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of equipment. Employee is required to use cognitive ability to reason, analyze and verbalize thoughts and ideas. Requires the ability to recognize and identify similarities or differences between characteristics of colors, shapes and sounds associated with job-related objects, materials or tasks.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position, or is responsive to the needs of the City of Janesville.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.