DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Under supervision of the City Administrator, provides leadership to division heads and staff, and has knowledge and skills necessary to motivate staff toward long-range goals. Responsible for all aspects of operations including budgeting, fundraising, maintenance, programming and exhibition development, maintaining and researching the collection, along with marketing, and visitor services. Adheres to and furthers the museum’s mission. Works with the Museum Board and the Museum Foundation Board.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in Museum Studies or related field plus five years’ experience in a supervisory capacity. Advanced study in relevant areas is preferred.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Develops, recommends and administers management and operational policies and procedures. Proposes and implements short and long-term goals for current and future growth of the museum while maintaining effective day-to-day operation. Assures that the Strategic Plan achieves the mission of the museum while maintaining consistency of progress.
- Responsible for quality programs and oversees the development, organization, implementation, and evaluation of programs and activities in all Museum departments. Supervises and evaluates Museum department heads. Uses teamwork approach while implementing new programs and permanent or temporary exhibits.
- Maintains an environment that attracts, retains and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people.
- Maintains a safe facility for employees and the public by policy and procedure, inspection, and observance. Ensures adequate maintenance of the facility and grounds.
- Responsible for sound business practices; proposes annual budget and related goals; operates within budget and maintains accurate financial records. Coordinates fiscal budget preparation with City Administrator and Museum Board.
- Represents the museum as a department head with the City of Hastings administration. Establishes effective working relationships with other city departments. Is a positive, visible advocate for the museum in the community through civic functions, community board service and media relations.
- Ensures compliance with all federal and state regulations, city ordinances and American Alliance of Museums standards and ethics.