The purpose of this position is to provide opportunities for recreational activities and customer service to patrons by acting as a frontline leader in a day camp setting. This is accomplished by supervising summer camp operations and staff, managing documents, maintaining open communication and ensuring compliance with local standards of care. Other duties may include planning and carrying out activities such as but not limited to hiking, arts and crafts, sports, drama, swimming, and field trips. This position provides direction to other employees.
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
- Oversees seasonal youth camp operations by coordinating the activities of the camp and supervising related programs, field trips, and activities.
- Supervises personnel by assisting in training, observing and monitoring work tasks, evaluating work performance, assisting employees to correct deficiencies, scheduling the necessary employees for facility operations and submitting time sheets for payroll.
- Instructs and/or trains personnel to lead a variety of activities including but not limited to arts and crafts, games, nature education and other outdoor related activities.
- Works closely with Recreation Program Supervisor to plan and coordinate activities; provides assistance in other parks and recreation programs as needed, including the Allen USA Celebration.
- Provides customer service by maintaining positive interpersonal relations with all who are involved in the summer camp program; including children, parents, staff, vendors and general public.
- Monitors the use of recreation equipment and ensures it is used in a capacity that is in accordance with its intended use. Ensures all equipment is returned to its original location and put back in an organized fashion when done using.
- Follows and enforces rules, policies, and procedures outlined in City of Allen local standards of care and handbook.
- Must have a desire to work with children and be able to work every week of seasonal camp.
- Ensures a high level of safety for participants and personnel during the program and administers basic first aid, as certified, as necessary.