We’re looking for motivated individuals who have a desire to work outdoors with children who have emotional, learning and behavioral challenges.
Camp Starfish Waterfront Specialists are camp counselors who supervise water safety and teach swim lessons at our waterfronts on Lake Monomonac. Candidates must be strong swimmers and able to pass a lifeguard certification course (provided as part of camp training).
- Ensure safety in and around the waterfront area at all times
- Teach individual 1:1 swim lessons
- Anticipate hazardous conditions and take precautionary measures
- Render first aid and CPR as needed and within the scope of employee’s certifications
- Encourage camper participation in camp activities
- Help campers who may require additional time or explanation
- Support campers who may require extra attention or assistance
- Implement and monitor individualized camper behavioral plans
Successful Candidates Demonstrate:
- Strong personal integrity, adaptability, emotional intelligence, enthusiasm, patience, grit and self-control
- Ability to understand, role model, and adhere to Starfish policies and procedures
- Willingness and ability to seek and accept supervision and guidance
- Ready to embrace and accept differences in religion/age/ethnicity/culture/race/gender/sexual orientation and/or other diversities. Willingness and ability to treat all campers and staff fairly regardless of identity, ability, background, and/or preferences
- Willingness to live, work and play in an outdoor setting with children who have emotional, learning and behavioral challenges.
Salary and Perks of the Job:
- Room and Board included
- Laundry Service provided
- Paid time off
- Travel Stipend available for staff members traveling over 250 miles
- Earn course credit (dependent on your school’s requirements)
- Earn certifications
- Gain valuable skills needed to work with a variety of children
- Make friends that will last a lifetime
- Salary and bonus information may be found here: http://campstarfish.org/staff/detailsmain.html
Internship/Course Credit/Fieldwork Experience Information:
If you join our team as a paid intern, you will receive over 140 hours of hands-on training as well as be placed in our Intern Seminar that meets weekly and focuses on professional development. In addition, interns are invited to apply to our 15-month Fellowship, which provides further opportunities for professional development and funds a self-directed project.
Many individuals on our summer staff team use their experience working at Camp Starfish to obtain course credit through their college or university. In previous years, staff members studying Psychology, Social Work, Education, Recreation, Sports Science, Wilderness Leadership, Business Management and many other subjects were able to spend the summer having fun at camp while still working towards their degree!
If you are planning to use your time at camp to gain course credit, we strongly recommend that you speak with your advisor, etc. to determine the necessary steps to apply for credit at your particular institution. We recommend you apply as early as possible to give both you and us enough time to get everything organized.
Note: Participation in the Intern Program is in addition to job responsibilities and is not required for employment. All staff receive training regardless of internship status.
For more information, please visit http://campstarfish.org/staff/apply-now.html and complete an online application. All hiring decisions contingent on completed application, reference verification, and results of background checks.