Urban Design and Planning Visualization Intern, New York – Fall 2020 (Virtual) (4318)
From helping shape entire cities to adapting infrastructure to deal with the climate emergency, a career at Buro Happold presents the chance to make a difference. With a world class reputation, our creativity and our people have delivered positive change to clients, the environment, and communities alike. If you want to be part of something bigger, this is your chance.
Pioneer / Establish Innovative Solutions
Buro Happold Cities brings together the expertise of world class planners, engineers, architects, and economists to examine the built environment from a variety of angles. Our multidisciplinary consulting team is able to address urban issues from a unique perspective, which enables us to provide our clients with comprehensive solutions to capitalize on opportunities and tackle the complex challenges facing cities and communities today. In working with our public and private sector clients, it is essential that proposals and recommendations be framed in a visually compelling way that is accessible and succinct.
The Cities team is at the forefront of urban innovation, offering strategic consulting, master planning, project management, and analytical services to city governments, non-profit organizations, private developers, colleges and universities, and more. Our most recent projects include helping New York State reimagine the future of its canal network, supporting the Los Angeles County Chief Sustainability Office in the creation of a comprehensive regional sustainability plan, working with the Richmond Bridge Park Foundation to make the economic case for a transformative linear park across the James River, and, most recently, working with the non-profit HEET to assess the feasibility of replacing natural gas infrastructure in the Greater Boston area with district-scale renewable heating systems.
The Cities team sits within Buro Happold, an international engineering and consulting firm with 35 years of specialist expertise. Buro Happold’s 1,700 employees are problem-solvers working in the built and natural environment, tackling the issues that are most relevant to cities. With offices located around the world, Buro Happold is able to combine strong local integration and knowledge with international best practices. We assemble and lead custom-designed project teams, bringing together the best skills and talent from inside our company, and with trusted partners to deliver integrated solutions. More information is available at www.burohappold.com/what-we-do/sectors/urban-development.
The Buro Happold Cities team in New York City is seeking a graduate-level, full-time or part-time intern to work with us this fall. Our interns are exposed to a wide range of exciting, precedent-making projects involving urban planning and policy, climate adaptation and mitigation, sustainability, and economic development. This specific opportunity is for a visualization and urban design role providing urban design, graphic design, and data visualization for our projects and publications.
With us, your preconceptions will be tested, your resilience built, and your career enriched. This role offers you the opportunity to:
- Create compelling, high quality urban design imagery, including maps, diagrams, and renderings
- Provide graphic design support, including layout and style creation for deliverables
- Perform geospatial analysis and visualization for a range of geographies
- Communicate complex data analyses with meaningful visualizations
- Assist with business development and proposal production
We’ll help you meet your goals, respecting your ideas and fostering your creativity, collaboration and innovation. In return we ask you to bring the following:
- Self-starter with a curious mind, professional demeanor, and a good sense of humor.
- Ability to work with a multidisciplinary team to execute project deliverables within a given timeframe
- Demonstrated experience with Adobe Creative Cloud products (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Demonstrated experience using GIS software to analyze and visualize geospatial data (ArcGIS, QGIS)
- Ability to research and synthesize information on a range of topics for multiple audience types
- Knowledge of and/or interest in climate change, sustainability, urban planning, and land use policy
- At Buro Happold, you’ll work with some of the brightest minds in the industry, contributing to unique and innovative projects that inspire awe, transform communities and help to combat climate change
- Our strength is in our diversity, and you’ll join a team that thrives on openness, respect and collaboration. Your expertise will be recognized, your opinion valued, and your passions supported. You will be challenged, and you’ll also be enabled to deliver your best, boldest and most creative work
- From providing solutions to local infrastructure and utility needs, through to planning entire cities across the globe, be inspired when developing sustainable solutions to support growing populations with our Cities team.
About our New York Office
Established in 1998 as the first US office, Buro Happold New York City is the largest office in the country with nearly 200 staff members that deliver some of the most iconic and high performance projects across the region and internationally.
Working with some of the most renowned architects, Buro Happold has engineered a number of precedent-setting projects including the world’s tallest and largest Passive House certified residential building at Cornell Tech, and The High Line in New York City; Battersea Arts Centre and Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and Cultural Quarter in the UK; and the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, GA which includes the world’s first 360 degree halo scoreboard and oval retractable roof and is the first professional sports venue in the US to achieve LEED Platinum certification.
The New York office offers a wide array of services covering projects from building scale through site infrastructure and city planning including structural engineering, MEP engineering, façade engineering, lighting design, sustainability and analytics and ICT engineering. Buro Happold also offers strategic planning, project management and analytical services to a diverse range of public and private sector clients worldwide.
The team contributed to 1.5 degree Celsius: Aligning NYC with the Paris Climate Agreement as policy and technical consultant, making NYC the first city in the world to release an action plan in line with the principles of the Paris Agreement. Additionally, Buro Happold is the lead consultant on the Reimagining the Canals initiative, which includes plans to reimagine the iconic Erie Canal with future-oriented uses and development, an initiative that has been backed by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo.
Interested? Intrigued? Inspired?
Please apply online to be considered for this role. We are looking forward to your application!
PLEASE SUBMIT A PORTFOLIO OR PROJECT EXAMPLES ALONG WITH YOUR RESUME
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals that reflects the countries in which we operate. In order to truly benefit from this diversity we must create an environment in which employees feel they can be themselves. Buro Happold actively promotes inclusivity across the practice to enable every individual to reach their full potential, feeling included is good for all of us. This begins with a fair and inclusive recruitment process which focuses on your skills, competencies and experiences in relation to the role. We understand that through collaboration, diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.
Type of contract
Area of Expertise
Office / Project Location