The PR & Digital Media Internship is focused primarily on social media, digital marketing, and e-communications—a very fast-paced part of the Center’s PR/Marketing Department, especially during the summer season. It also provides an introduction into the varied responsibilities of a PR/marketing/communications professional in general, and into the nonprofit/museum environment.
Our internships are 10 weeks in duration (we are flexible on schedule depending on school exams, etc.) and are full-time and paid ($12.50 per hour) with a $500 housing stipend. Enjoy a paid internship right next door to Yellowstone National Park!
Level of Responsibility: Reports to PR/Marketing Manager and/or Electronic Communications Manager
• Become familiar with the galleries, objects, stories, and strategic objectives of the Center of the West to create content for social media and website.
• Create and implement content (social media, blogs) for Center website/channels using best SEO, social, and content development practices.
• Respond to questions and comments on Facebook and other social media sites. Research, write, and distribute news releases and e-mail pitches.
• Communicate with Center audiences and build organic reach through weekly blog posts. Assist in collection and management of audience research survey data.
• Perform reputation research and communicate with third parties to ensure online listings, articles, fact sheets, and other digital content about the Center is accurate and up to date.
• Coordinate with PR team to ensure that all communications—whether e-mailed, added to the website, or distributed through social media, and whether text, image, or video—have a consistent message.
• Attend museum-wide meetings, including regular intern briefings about the Center.
• Currently enrolled in, or have recently completed, at least the sophomore level of college coursework in public relations, marketing, communications, journalism, or similar field.
• Excellent writing skills including syntax, usage, and creativity; please submit writing samples with application.
• General knowledge of social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Hootsuite). Institutional Goals and Benefits:
• Provides critical help for the Center’s social media channels by creating engaging content, answering frequently asked questions, fostering positive IEPs. and promoting revenue-driven programming.
• Increases the effectiveness of press outreach through email pitches and press research.
• Offers promotional and technological assistance for virtual programming.
• Helps in the creation of physical and digital assets that drive visitation, revenue, and improved visitor experiences.