The part-time on-site Education Specialist is responsible, under the supervision and guidance of the Division Director, After-school Education, for developing/updating the leadership development curriculum for BCS’s SONYC Middle School Program at East New York Family Academy and IS 392 The School for the Gifted and Talented serving 90 students (grades 6-8) in East New York Brooklyn, and 70 students (grades 6-8) in Brownsville. The part-time Education Specialist further supports the work of the Division Director through the provision of management assistance and after-school staff training. BCS after-school programs are supported by NYC Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) funding, and by foundations and private donors, and operate weekdays from 3 – 6 p.m., with full-day programming during the summers and on many school holidays.
- Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Division Director, update and improve the Leadership curriculum and content as needed, with particular emphasis on STEM learning, as well as literacy skills.
- Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Division Director, work with a full time Curriculum Specialist to develop curricula and activities best suited to implement the middle school leadership based program model, with particular emphasis on the need to fully engage middle school students to discover and develop their interests and achieve their goals.
- Source and manage program content from vendors and/or community partners, as needed.
- Participate in developing/implementing a staff training plan to be approved by Division Director and Chief Operating Officer. Provide individual coaching and small group workshops to foster successful implementation of the program model, with high-quality materials and appropriate lesson plans. Work with staff to foster effective data collection and performance measurement; assist with BCS data management initiatives.
- Assist the Division Director in establishing outcome benchmarks for after-school program success, and appropriate measurement tools for such outcomes; continuously evaluate and refine curricula and activity plans to ensure high levels of successful outcomes for students attending BCS’s East New York After-school program.
- Assist the Division Director and the Site Director with all aspects of special events, field trips and parent/community presentations.
- Conduct classroom observations to ensure effective and consistent implementation of prescribed curriculum and youth development activities. Inform Division Director of the results of such observations, and assist with related staff development and program evaluation efforts.
- Assist with BCS Afterschool fundraising and outreach efforts as assigned.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Advanced degree in education, youth services or related field required; teaching experience and curriculum development experience preferred.
- Minimum of five years of operations experience in school-based and/or afterschool programs required. Experience with DYCD and DOH regulations a plus.
- Solid background in developing, implementing and evaluating educational curricula and youth programs; strong experience with performance management tools, including but not limited to student assessment tools.
- Proven leadership skills, with strong analytical and problem solving track record, as well as excellent oral and written communication skills; experience with grant-writing and funder relationships preferred.
- Attention to detail, with successful track record in program compliance and reporting, and overall data collection and performance management analytics.