Breakthrough is looking for accomplished undergraduates to join our classrooms this summer. We seek undergraduates from all academic backgrounds – both those planning careers in education and those who are considering it for the first time. Breakthrough teaching fellows have a deep commitment to social justice and passion for working with our inspiring students. Our teaching fellows must be committed to personal growth and comfortable working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
As a Breakthrough teaching fellow, you’ll join a supportive community where you’ll receive extensive training, continuous support, and the opportunity to lead a classroom. Throughout the summer, you will assume leadership roles and practice creativity, flexibility, and problem-solving. Under the guidance of experienced educators, you will work alongside other teaching fellows to plan and teach classes, manage a classroom, advise students, lead field trips, and develop as a teacher and leader. A summer at Breakthrough will help prepare you for a career in education and grow professional skills that will help you stand apart in other professions.
As a Breakthrough teaching fellow, you will:
- Participate in a summer teaching and leadership experience with a living stipend provided
- Develop skills in presentation and public-speaking, collaboration, and leadership
- Receive 100+ hours of teaching and leadership training
- Teach at one of our 25 affiliates throughout the U.S. and in Hong Kong
- Learn lesson planning, classroom management, instructional strategies, feedback techniques, and other essential teaching tools
- Teach academic classes and design enrichment classes
- Lead family conferences and participate in team meetings
- Receive regular coaching from professional educators
- Collaborate with other exceptional undergraduate teaching fellows
- Work with a diverse group of motivated students, undergraduates, and professionals in a hard-working and fun community
As a teaching fellow, you will teach at one of 25 affiliates, which are located in cities across the country and in Hong Kong. Your summer will include:
- A nine-week teaching residency that includes two weeks of training, six weeks of classroom instruction, and one week of wrap-up and reflection.
- An intensive daily schedule, which often runs beyond normal business hours, five days a week and sometimes on weekends.
Breakthrough provides a living stipend for teaching fellows. Stipend amounts and limited housing vary by affiliate and individual qualifications.
For a list of affiliates, including dates for each program, stipend amounts, and housing availability, please visit our site directory.