JOB TITLE: Field Organizer Intern, Communications Intern, Finance Intern
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
FUNCTION: Train to be either a grassroots organizer or a finance and communications fellow. Applicants should be willing to take direction and be able to work closely with organization heads, elected officials, and BFS executive staff. Desired traits include being able to learn quickly about the functions of state government and/or how organizing works while also being flexible in their areas of learning and be willing to work as an effective member of a team. An interest in political work and community outreach is required, no prior experience needed.
FIRE STRATEGIES: Blue Fire Strategies (BFS) is a political consulting firm that manages campaigns for progressive and moderate candidates in the Nebraska area. With a focus on races ranging from Nebraska Legislature to school boards, BFS is able to make a lasting impact in communities across the state.
- Participate in trainings and skill-building exercises on the theory, practice and ideology Blue Fire Strategies employs in its grassroots organizing program.
- Cross train and shadow in other areas of Blue Fire Strategies to develop strong organizational knowledge.
- Provide support to the Blue Fire Strategies executive team. These duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Recruit and train volunteers
- Assist with phone programs
- Staff activist recruitment and outreach events
- Input and track departmental data
- Participate in departmental meetings as requested
- Assist in the development and implementation of strategies to recruit, educate and mobilize volunteers in the community
- Do fundraising research and track fundraising data
- Help craft campaign messaging to be used across different media and outreach platforms.
- Other duties as assigned.
WHAT YOU WILL GAIN FROM THE EXPERIENCE:
- An ability to work in a facepast and ever changing environment.
- How to organize for events and functions to hit short-term and long-term goals.
- An understanding of how to hit fundraising goals and manage budgets and strategic cash flows.
- How to craft messages that appeal to unique audiences.
- How local government and state government and the election process works.
- How to use excel and other applications to track information.
- Make a difference in races that are sometimes decided by just a few votes.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A commitment to progressive policies, candidates, and ideals. This commitment must not be limited toward one candidate or one issue, but extend to the overall goals of all of the clients BFS works toward. 2.0 GPA minimum required.
Ability to maintain confidentiality of all Blue Fire Strategies business and activities on and off of the job.
10 – 12 hours a week expected time commitment.
Interested applicants should send their resume to:
Brandon Bayer, firstname.lastname@example.org, 402-380-2930
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis