Big Shoulders Fund is an independent tax exempt charitable organization that serves inner-city schools which provide a quality, values-based education for children, thereby contributing to stronger communities. We serve students in 92 schools in the city of Chicago and Northwest Indiana. Each school is a vital resource for students, families and communities, with research showing that when a
Big Shoulders Fund school closes, the surrounding area experiences an increase in violence and a decrease in social cohesion.
This is a virtual, with options for in-person, part-time, paid marketing-focused internship based at Big Shoulders Fund supported schools, under the supervision of local school staff. Ideal candidates have a background or major in marketing or communications or community organizing. Some evening and weekend hours required.
Support the marketing and enrollment efforts of individual Big Shoulders Fund schools by assisting with related tasks, including:
- Designing and producing marketing pieces (e.g. signs, banners, flyers);
- Updating/supporting website and social media pages on behalf of the school;
- Developing and placing ads with various media outlets (e.g. local paper, Facebook, radio);
- Participating in phone banks to follow up with prospective parents;
- Canvassing school neighborhoods with support of school parents and/or staff; and
- Completing other related tasks as needed.
- Serve as part of a dynamic team focused on providing outstanding educational opportunities for inner-city families
- Develop skills in communications, marketing, community outreach and leadership
- Experience working for a longstanding, independent 501(c)3 with high profile in the city of Chicago
- Build a network of professional contacts across Chicago
- Experience in marketing, communications, web development, social media or community organizing
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; superb interpersonal abilities
- Capable of both a high degree of independence and teamwork in responsibilities
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Innovative and creative approach to tasks
- Energetic and enthusiastic about inner-city Catholic education
- Must have access to reliable transportation daily; this position is based at the schools located in Chicago and North West Indiana
- Ability to commit to approximately 10-20 hours/week over 8 weeks (June – August with a one week break in July)
Ability to read/write/converse in Spanish would be valuable but not required.